Cucumber Onion Salad is a simple and delicious side dish to add to any dinner. It's flavorful and delicious with a sweet and tangy dressing and fresh dill. Perfect for summer cookouts, potlucks and family dinners.
This Cucumber and Onion Salad Recipe is a perfect side dish to make with fresh cucumbers, sweet onions and a simple dressing. This fresh salad is even better the next day. We always have a huge garden and this is one of our favorite summer salads using our garden produce.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- English cucumbers
- kosher salt
- red onion
- fresh dill
- red pepper flakes
- white wine vinegar
How to Make Cucumber and Onion Salad
- Cut cucumbers into thin slices. I use a small mandoline slicer, just go slow or use the guard to be safe.
- Add cucumber slices in a bowl and toss with kosher salt. Allow to sit for about 30 minutes.
- Place cucumbers in a colander and rinse well. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Slice onions and chop fresh dill.
- Mix vinegar and sugar in a bowl.
- Add cucumbers, onions, dill and red pepper flakes to a bowl.
- Top with vinegar dressing and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or over night before serving.
Tips for Cucumber Salads
- Don't skip the salting process. It helps remove the moisture from the cucumbers and gives them more crunch plus flavor. It's worth the time and it's really simple to do.
- Rinse your cucumbers really well so that they are not too salty.
- Drain the cucumbers well and get them pretty dry with paper towels. This will help the dressing to adhere to the slices.
- Feeding a crowd? Make a double batch!
- Don't like onions? You can skip the onions altogether or mix in thin sliced sweet peppers or celery for added crunch and flavor.
- Skip the red pepper flakes and use black pepper if you prefer.
How Long Will Cucumber Onion Salad Last?
Cucumber salad stays fresh about 3 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container. However, a batch never lasts that long around our house. I will usually reserve any leftover dressing and add more cucumbers that have been salted, rinsed and drained. I can usually get about a batch and a half or two out of the dressing.
Cucumber and onion salad is perfect to serve with any meal on the grill, like grilled ribeyes, bbq shrimp or smoked chicken. We also love it with fried chicken strips and to top burgers, hot dogs or chicken fried steak sandwiches.
Our garden always produces lots of cucumbers and summer fresh salads are a great way to enjoy them. We also love using our cucumber bounty to make jars and jars of homemade pickle relish to enjoy all year long.
More Cucumber Salad Recipes
Cool, crisp cucumbers are a great addition to any summer meal. These easy cucumber salads are simple and delicious featuring fresh summer cucumbers. Give these great recipes a try.
Greek Salad Skewers ~ I love these little bite sized salads. Perfect as an appetizer or easy to serve as a tasty side for summer cookouts. Make these salad skewers ahead for an easy and delicious addition to your meal.
Creamy Cucumber Salad ~ The classic summer cucumber salad with a creamy sour cream and dill dressing that you will be making again and again.
Greek Salad with Roasted Garlic Salad Dressing ~ One of my all-time favorite salads. It is just bursting with incredible flavors and it's always a hit with any meal.
Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad ~ Simple and delicious! Great for summer produce with crisp cucumbers, ripe tomatoes, red onion and a creamy herb dressing that has so much flavor.
As the temperature warms up, I'm on the hunt for cool and refreshing side dishes that I can make ahead. This easy cucumber salad recipe is just the ticket. It's just a few simple ingredients to make a large batch and enjoy throughout the week with just about any meal.
If you are looking for a cool and refreshing way to enjoy fresh cucumbers, add this cucumber and onion salad to this weeks dinner menu or your next barbecue! It's on constant rotation at our house this time of year for a simple salad.
- 4 cups thin sliced cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup thin sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- Slice cucumbers thin, a Mandoline slicer works great.
- Place cucumbers in a bowl and sprinkle with kosher salt and toss until well coated. Set aside 30 minutes.
- Rinse and drain cucumbers in a colander with cool water.
- Pour onto paper towels and pat dry.
- Place cucumber slices in a serving bowl and top with sliced onion, dill and red pepper flakes.
- Whisk vinegar and sugar together, pour over cucumbers and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
Cucumber and onion salad will last up to 3 days in refrigerator. Add additional salted (rinsed and drained) cucumbers and onions to the dressing if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 137Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1590mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 1g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.