Apple Fritter Cake with a sweet powdered sugar glaze is a simple loaf cake that will remind you of your favorite apple fritter. This easy cake has layers of moist vanilla cake, tart apples with lots of cinnamon and sugar for a easy and delicious dessert!
Apple desserts are perfect for fall holidays and get togethers but don’t wait for a special occasion to try this apple fritter cake. It’s so simple, you can make it any day of the week! You might also like this easy carrot cake for a simple dessert.
Ingredients for Apple Fritter Cake Recipe
For Cinnamon Sugar Mixture
- Brown Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Buttermilk – If you don’t have buttermilk, substitute by adding about 2 teaspoons of vinegar or lemon juice with whole milk to create 1/2 cup.
For Apple Filling
- Granulated Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Baking Apples: Granny Smith Apples are best, honey crisp or gala apples will also work.
- Powdered Sugar
- Cream or Milk
Just take me to the recipe! You will find the full recipe card with ingredients and instructions at the very bottom of the post. Otherwise read on for the step by step photos.
How to Make Apple Fritter Cake
- Mix cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add butter and sugar to a mixer bowl and beat together with the paddle attachment. Mix in vanilla and one egg at a time until blended. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add half of dry ingredients mixture to batter and mix at medium speed. Add buttermilk and then remaining flour mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Peel and dice the apples. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and toss to combined.
- Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Layer half of cake batter into pan and spread evenly. Top with half of apple filling. Sprinkle the cinnamon brown sugar mixture.
- Repeat with remaining cake batter, apple mixture and then cinnamon sugar mixture. Swirl the top of the batter with a knife.
- Bake for about 60 to 65 minutes.
- Remove cake to a serving platter.
- Mix powdered sugar and cream together until smooth.
- Drizzle sweet glaze over warm cake, slice and serve.
Recipe Notes for Apple Fritter Cake
- What Kind of Apple to use for Baking: Granny Smith, Gala, Fuji Braeburn, Jonathan or honeycrisp apples are all great baking apples.
- Will Apple Pie Filling Work? If you don’t have fresh apples, canned apple pie filling will work. Just dice the apples before layering in the cake.
- What Size Pan to Bake Apple Fritter Cake: I am using a 9 x 5 loaf pan. A 9 x 9 inch square baking pan will also work but baking time will be less.
- Add-ins: Chopped pecans or walnuts can be mixed in with the cinnamon sugar apples. Raisins or dried cranberries are also great additions.
- Storage: Wrap cooled cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 4 days.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This recipe comes from The Easy Cake Cookbook, by Amanda Couse. It is the ultimate guide for cake lovers who are big on taste―but short on time. If you’re a busy home baker or a cake-loving beginner, this cake cookbook offers friendly, fail-safe advice so you can bake fast and flavorful cakes whenever you have the craving.
You will find coffee cakes, bundt cakes, snacking cakes, skillet cakes, little cakes and toppings. This is a great cookbook for home bakers and inspiring cooks.
The book is available for pre-order on Amazon.com NOW and officially launches on December 3, 2019. Check out more of Amanda’s amazing recipes at Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt.
More Apple Dessert Recipes to Try
Fried Apple Hand Pies are one of the most delicious desserts that I’ve ever made. The flakiest fried pie dough wrapped around tender apples and drenched in powdered sugar icing. They are beyond irresistible.
Fresh Apple Cake comes from my mom’s recipe box. This cake is super easy and incredibly delicious. A great cake to bake and share for the holidays.
Easy Apple Cobbler is and old fashioned dessert just like grandma would make. Top it off with vanilla ice cream for a family favorite dessert.
Apple Upside Down Cake is super easy and incredibly delicious. This cake is a must- try for apple lovers!
Easy Apple Crisp is great for busy weeknights. A super simple dessert that the entire family will love. Serve it warm from the oven and top it with vanilla ice cream.
If you love fall spiced desserts, this Pear Cake with brown sugar icing is another favorite. Easy enough for any day of the week and delicious enough for entertaining.
Why You will Love this Apple Fritter Cake Recipe
- Nostalgic Dessert: If you love the flavor of homemade apple fritters, this delicious apple fritter cake is sure to remind you of the great taste of your favorite old fashioned doughnut.
- Easy Recipe for Any Occasion: This tender cake is so simple to make with pantry ingredients and fresh apples. It is a great dessert for any day of the week and great with a cup of coffee. It’s a great dessert for special occasions or to bake and share for the holidays.
- Favorite Apple Dessert: Apple desserts are perfect for the fall season but we make this cake all year long. It is one of our most requested recipes and a real crowd pleaser. A must-try if you are looking for a delicious apple fritter coffee cake.
Try this Apple Fritter Cake Recipe for a weekend brunch, an easy weeknight dessert or for your next holiday get together. It’s a simple recipe and so delicious!
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
FOR THE CINNAMON SUGAR
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
FOR THE CAKE
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
FOR THE APPLES
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups chopped peeled baking apples
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons cream or milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
- For the cinnamon sugar, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- For the cake, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla, then add the eggs, one at a time, beating just until each egg is incorporated. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients
and buttermilk to the butter-sugar mixture in the large bowl, alternating back and forth between the two, starting and ending with our and beating on medium speed.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula and stir in any unmixed bits of batter.
- 5. For the apples, in another medium bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Add the apples and toss until the apples are coated with the cinnamon sugar.
- Add half of the batter to the prepared loaf pan. Add half of the apples in a layer and gently push them down into the batter. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar over the apples.
- Repeat, adding the remaining batter, apples, and cinnamon sugar. Use a skewer to swirl it all together.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 60 to 65 minutes.
- Mix powdered sugar and cream together in a small bowl until smooth.
- Place cake on a serving platter and drizzle warm cake with icing.
- Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.
Store leftover cake tightly wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 235mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 4g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.