As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Swedish Meatballs and mashed potatoes is a comforting and delicious meal that is ready in about 30 minutes. Homemade meatballs are simmered in a rich and hearty sauce and served over creamy mashed potatoes, perfect for any night of the week.
This recipe comes from my mother-in-law’s recipe box and it’s one of my husband’s all- time favorite dinners. It’s a little different than the famous Ikea style meatballs and gravy but it’s all kinds of delicious!
How to Make Swedish Meatballs:
- Combine seasonings for meatballs: onion flakes, black pepper, kosher salt, smoked paprika, Italian seasonings and brown sugar.
- Mix lean ground beef with eggs, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings.
- Scoop into meatballs. Cook in olive oil over medium- high heat, turning to brown on all sides.
- Lower to simmer.
- Mix tomato soup, cream of mushroom soup and Worcestershire sauce together. Pour over browned meatballs and stir to combine. Whisk in 1 cup water if you would like a thinner sauce.
- Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Serve over garlic mashed potatoes.
If you prefer to bake your meatballs, place them on a baking sheet and bake at 375° for 15 minutes and then simmer in sauce.
Can you freeze meatballs?
Meatballs are classic comfort food and always a family favorite. You can make a double batch and freeze half of the cooked meatballs to make an easy dinner in a hurry.
Place cooled meatballs in a zip top freezer bag and freeze in a single layer. Then add them to your favorite sauce for an easy dinner.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
For the Meatballs:
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
For the Sauce:
- 2 cans (10.75 oz) tomato soup
- 1 can (10.75 oz) cream of mushroom soup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup water - optional
Place ground beef in a large mixing bowl with eggs and Worcestershire sauce.
Mix onion flakes, Italian seasonings, brown sugar, smoked paprika and kosher salt together. Add to ground beef and mix until well combined.
Scoop into 1 1/2 inch meatballs.
Add olive oil to a large skillet and place over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs, turning to brown on all sides.
Lower to simmer.
Mix tomato soup, cream of mushroom soup and Worcestershire sauce together in a bowl. Pour over meatballs and stir to combine. Whisk in water if you would like a thinner sauce.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve over mashed potatoes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 735Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 301mgSodium: 2113mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 70g
Originally posted in 2010, updated with text and photos.