Skillet Cornbread is a simple scratch recipe that anyone can make. Buttery and slightly sweet with a crunchy crust, this skillet cornbread will quickly become your favorite too!
You don't need a mix to make great cornbread, it's super simple and this tried and true recipe turns out every single time!
How to Make Skillet Cornbread:
- Preheat oven to 425®.
- Place a cast iron skillet in the oven as it preheats.
- Add cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Add milk, egg and butter to dry mixture and mix until combined.
- Remove skillet from oven and add butter or vegetable oil.
- Pour cornbread batter into skillet, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cornbread is done when a knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- Serve immediately with butter.
Sugar in Cornbread is Optional:
Adding sugar to cornbread is quite controversial, you can skip it and it doesn't change anything in this recipe and it's easy to adjust to your taste. Personally, I like it a little on the sweeter side.
I have adapted my mother in law's recipe just slightly, adding butter and a little more sugar. Nothing excites my kids more than to show up at grandma's house as she's pulling a pan of cornbread out of the oven!
You can also use vegetable oil in place of the butter if you prefer it. I make it both ways depending how much butter I have on hand. Of course using butter, you get a more buttery flavor.
We love cornbread for breakfast or dessert slathered in melted butter and drizzled with honey. I remember my grandma and grandpa eating cornbread (or hushpuppies from their catfish restaurant) in a glass of buttermilk as a snack. Ever tried it?
Cornbread is one of the key ingredients in southern cornbread dressing, it's such a staple at our house and so much better than the box mix, I promise!
If you are a big cornbread fan, you might also like my grandma's Mexican Cornbread. It's a great weeknight dinner made with ground beef, cheese, onions and jalapeños.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup butter, plus 1 tablespoon melted (divided use) or Vegetable Oil
- 1 egg
- Pre-heat oven to 425 °
- Place cast iron skillet into oven as it preheats.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the first five ingredients, stirring until well combined.
- Add milk, butter and egg, stir until just combined.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven and add 1 tablespoon of butter or vegetable oil.
- Pour in batter, spreading around evenly.
- Place skillet back into oven and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until cornbread is lightly browned on top and an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Serve with butter.
Store leftover cornbread wrapped in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Reheat cornbread in a toaster oven or in a 325° oven wrapped in foil for about 15 minutes.