As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Skillet Cornbread is a simple scratch recipe that anyone can make. Buttery and slightly sweet with a crunchy crust, this skillet cornbread will quickly become your favorite too!
You don’t need a mix to make great cornbread, it’s super simple and this tried and true recipe turns out every single time!
How to Make Skillet Cornbread:
- Preheat oven to 425®.
- Place a cast iron skillet in the oven as it preheats.
- Add cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Add milk, egg and butter to dry mixture and mix until combined.
- Remove skillet from oven and add butter or vegetable oil.
- Pour cornbread batter into skillet, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cornbread is done when a knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- Serve immediately with butter.
Sometimes I make the cornbread batter into muffins, but I really like the crunchy crust you get in an iron skillet. Here’s one of my favorite iron skillets for cornbread and this is my favorite muffin tin.
Adding sugar to cornbread is quite controversial, you can skip it and it doesn’t change anything in this recipe and it’s easy to adjust to your taste. Personally, I like it a little on the sweeter side.
I have adapted my mother in law’s recipe just slightly, adding butter and a little more sugar. Nothing excites my kids more than to show up at grandma’s house as she’s pulling a pan of cornbread out of the oven!
You can also use vegetable oil in place of the butter if you prefer it. I make it both ways depending how much butter I have on hand. Of course using butter, you get a more buttery flavor.
We love cornbread for breakfast or dessert slathered in melted butter and drizzled with honey. I remember my grandma and grandpa eating cornbread (or hushpuppies from their catfish restaurant) in a glass of buttermilk as a snack. Ever tried it?
Cornbread is one of the key ingredients in southern cornbread dressing, it’s such a staple at our house and so much better than the box mix, I promise!
If you are a big cornbread fan, you might also like my grandma’s Mexican Cornbread. It’s a great weeknight dinner made with ground beef, cheese, onions and jalapeños.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, plus 1 tablespoon melted (divided use) or Vegetable Oil
- 1 egg
- Pre-heat oven to 425 °
- Place cast iron skillet into oven as it preheats.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the first five ingredients, stirring until well combined.
- Add milk, butter and egg, stir until just combined.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven and add 1 tablespoon of butter or vegetable oil.
- Pour in batter, spreading around evenly.
- Place skillet back into oven and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until cornbread is lightly browned on top and an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Serve with butter.