Mexican Cornbread casserole recipe filled with ground beef, cheddar cheese, onion and jalapeños. This is my grandma’s signature dish and a tried and true family favorite. An easy dinner for any night of the week!
Mexican Cornbread is the perfect weeknight dinner and a delicious ground beef recipe. Amazing comfort food that is a family favorite and perfect for company. Made with pantry staples, jiffy mix needed!
Ingredients For Mexican Cornbread Casserole Recipe
Ground Beef Filling:
- Ground Beef
- Cheddar Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Kosher Salt
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Kosher Salt
- Canned Cream-Style Corn
- Bacon Drippings or Vegetable Oil
Step-by-Step Directions for Mexican Cornbread
- Brown ground beef and drain any excess grease. Combine with seasonings, chopped onion and shredded cheddar cheese.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, all purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Add milk, eggs, cream style corn, bacon grease and chopped jalapeños. Mix well.
- Grease a cast iron skillet with bacon drippings or vegetable oil, add half of cornbread batter.
- Top with ground beef, cheese and onion.
- Then top with remaining cornbread mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350° until golden brown.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- Crunchy Crust: Grease the cast iron skillet and place it in the oven while it preheats. A hot skillet will make the crunchiest cornbread crust.
- Cheese: I used medium cheddar. Colby-Jack cheese , Monterey Jack cheese, Pepper Jack cheese or any Mexican cheese blend would all be great.
- Peppers: I used fresh jalapeños, pickled jalapenos, candied jalapenos or a can of green chiles will work fine too. If you aren’t a fan of spicy foods, you can cut down on the jalapeños or leave them out.
- Cornbread Mix: Homemade cornbread is so easy to make from scratch but if you are a fan of jiffy cornbread mix, it will work just fine.
- Baking Dish: Use a 9 x 13 X 2 inch baking dish if you don’t have a cast iron skillet.
- Serving: Garnish with sliced green onions and serve with sour cream if desired.
- Storage: Store leftover Mexican cornbread casserole in an airtight container or on a plate covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Reheat: Place cornbread slices on a baking sheet or in a cast iron skillet. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350° for 15- 20 minutes or until heated through.
Why You Will Love this Easy Mexican Cornbread Recipe
- Delicious Dinner: This casserole takes regular cornbread to the next level of deliciousness with simple ingredients and hearty ground beef for a wonderful recipe that the entire family will love.
- One Dish Meal: Make this a one-dish meal by using the same cast iron skillet to brown the ground beef and make the Mexican cornbread casserole.
Delicious Dishes and Drinks to Complete Your Meal
- My grandma always served a green salad and on occasion mac and cheese just for me! My Skillet Mexican Street Corn would be the perfect side dish or add Cucumber Onion Salad for something light.
- I love fruit punch and my Easy Party Punch is perfect for the whole family. Of course a batch Pineapple Margaritas or a Pineapple Paloma would be great cocktails to finish out your Mexican feast.
More Mexican Recipes to Try
Brisket Tacos are my absolute favorite and the best idea for leftover smoked brisket and we can’t get enough of these Creamy Chicken Enchiladas. If you love Mexican inspired cuisine, you will love our Mexican Fiesta Menu that is perfect for feed a crowd.
My husband and I were discussing dishes that our grandma’s made when we were growing up and it got me to thinking about my grandma’s homemade Mexican Cornbread Recipe.
This Mexican Cornbread casserole has become one of our favorite dinners to make with ground beef, Mexican flavors and classic southern cornbread. Add it to your list if you are looking for new recipes to try this week.
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
For the Filling:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Cornbread:
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 can 14.75 ounce creamed corn
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings or vegetable oil plus more for greasing the skillet
- 3 jalapeño peppers
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place a 12 inch cast iron skillet in the oven to get hot.
- Brown ground beef in a skillet and drain any excess grease.
- Combine ground beef with diced onion, cheese, garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add cornmeal, flour, soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add eggs, creamed corn, milk, bacon grease and jalapeños, mixing to combine.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven and grease well with bacon drippings or oil.
- Pour half of cornbread mixture into bottom of the skillet.
- Top with ground beef and cheese mixture, spreading evenly.
- Top with remainder of cornbread mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until well browned.
- Slice and serve.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 502Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 135mgSodium: 951mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 32g
Nutritional information is estimated and may not be accurate.