Cornbread is a staple to add to just about any meal. This recipe comes out light and fluffy with a crunchy crust and delicious buttery flavor. If you are looking for an easy homemade cornbread recipe this is it and it's ready to eat in under 25 minutes.
I've been making skillet cornbread for ages and recently decided to see if I could improve upon that recipe and I think I have! This recipe can be made in a skillet or baking pan and is just a bit sweeter, more buttery and by all accounts, that is a good thing.
- Shortening ~ Crisco will make the crunchiest crust, I got this tip from my mother in law. Butter or bacon grease will work too.
- Cornmeal ~ I use regular cornmeal, if you have self-rising cornmeal, skip the baking powder and salt.
- All Purpose Flour
- Sugar ~ The sugar is completely optional and can be left out or use less if you preferred. We like sweet cornbread, experiment and adjust sugar accordingly.
- Baking Powder ~ The must have ingredient for light and fluffy cornbread, it is the rising agent in cornbread.
- Kosher Salt ~ Adds a depth of flavor that compliments the cornmeal flavor.
- Large Egg ~ Binds the ingredients together.
- Whole Milk ~ Adds the needed moisture to bring everything together.
- Salted Butter ~ Adds the key buttery flavor to make delicious cornbread. Unsalted butter will also work, no adjustment needed on the salt amount. Just personal preference here.
Step by Step Directions
STEP 1 Add a tablespoon of shortening (butter or bacon grease) to a 9 x 9 baking pan, pie plate or cast iron skillet. Place it in the oven while it preheats to 425°.
PRO TIP Using a metal baking pan or cast iron skillet will create a crunchier crust than you get in a glass baking dish.
STEP 2 In a mixing bowl, add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, egg, milk and melted butter.
STEP 3 Use a whisk or wooden spoon to mix the batter just until combined. Over mixing will create a more dense crumb as the cornbread bakes.
STEP 4 Carefully remove the pan from the oven with oven mitts, shortening will be melted. Pour the cornbread batter into the pan, smoothing evenly.
STEP 5 Using the oven mitts, return the pan to the preheated oven and bake for 17 - 20 minutes. Check for doneness at the earliest cooking time or a few minutes before using a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cornbread is cooked through.
STEP 6 Remove from oven. Slice and serve hot from the oven with extra butter if desired.
Toppings for Cornbread
- Honey drizzled over warm cornbread makes a great dessert or breakfast treat.
- Maple Syrup is another favorite to drizzle over cornbread for a sweet treat.
- Jam or Jelly just like you would biscuits for breakfast.
- STORAGE: Store cornbread covered with plastic wrap or foil at room temperature up to 2 days or refrigerated up to 5 days.
- REHEAT: Cornbread can be served at room temperature or warmed in a toaster oven or oven for about 5 - 8 minutes at 325°.
- BEST CORNMEAL: Use yellow cornmeal for this recipe, fine or medium ground will work.
- GLUTEN-FREE CORNBREAD: Make this recipe gluten free by using a gluten free 1:1 baking mix in place of the all purpose flour.
- DRY CRUMBLY CORNBREAD: If your cornbread turns out dry and crumbly it could be that you over cooked it. Oven temperatures vary, so start checking the cornbread at about 15 minutes.
Add this easy homemade cornbread recipe to your list to try. It's made with simple pantry ingredients and has the most amazing buttery flavor with a crunchy crust. The perfect addition to any home cooked dinner.
If you love this recipe as much as we do, please leave a comment and a five star review. Help us share on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook!
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar, optional
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- Add shortening to a 9 x 9 square baking pan or 10 inch cast iron skillet. Place in the oven and preheat to 425°.
- In a mixing bowl, add cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, egg and melted butter.
- Whisk together just until combined, do not over mix.
- When oven is preheated, shortening will be melted and hot, use oven mitts to remove the pan from the oven. Pour batter into the pan and smooth evenly. Use oven mitts to return pan to the oven.
- Bake for 17 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cornbread should be golden brown on top and around the edges.
- Remove from oven, slice and serve immedieately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 272mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.