BBQ Meatloaf is stuffed with sautéd peppers, onions and garlic and basted with homemade barbecue sauce. Delicious on the grill or in the oven. A gluten-free dinner that everyone will enjoy!
Classic meatloaf is one of the most popular comfort foods to make for dinner. Always a family favorite and pretty simple to make.
My kids absolutely love our Cheddar Stuffed Meatloaf and if you are lucky enough to have leftovers, it makes the best sandwiches!
Just take me to the recipe!
If you are just here for the recipe, just scroll on down for the printable card at the very bottom. Otherwise, read on for step by step instructions, tips and tricks for a delicious meatloaf dinner.
How to Make BBQ Meatloaf:
- Add olive oil, chopped onion, minced garlic and chopped red bell peppers to a saucepan and cook over medium heat until vegetables are softened.
- Add lean ground beef to a large mixing bowl and add 2 beaten eggs, the sautéd vegetables, Italian seasonings, granulated garlic, salt and pepper.
- Mix together until well combined.
- Shape into a loaf and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Prepare grill to 300- 325° or oven to 375°.
- Cook for 25 minutes. Brush generously with homemade barbecue sauce.
- Continue cooking for 30- 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°.
- Remove from grill or oven and allow to rest about 10 minutes before slicing.
Since this meatloaf is gluten free, it doesn’t stick together as well as meatloaf that is made with bread. Just slice it carefully, I promise it’s just as juicy and delicious!
Lots of folks top their meatloaf with ketchup but I love brushing barbecue sauce over the top so much more. Especially if it’s a sweet barbecue sauce!
Our homemade barbecue sauce is gluten free when made with Lea & Perrins or French’s Worcestershire sauce. To make this meatloaf gluten free, be sure the barbecue sauce you use is gluten free too!
Being gluten free, this meatloaf has a really great texture. It’s more like a grilled burger than traditional meatloaf.
My family absolutely loves meatloaf, but I’ve never been the biggest fan. Well that is until we tried making our Easy Smoked Meatloaf on the grill. It’s always been a texture issue with me and if you have similar feelings, this is the meatloaf you are going to love.
If you haven’t tried grilling a meatloaf, you just have to give it a try. It’s a real game changer. Perfect for busy weeknights or Sunday supper with the entire family.
Delicious Side Dishes to Serve with Meatloaf:
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes are the classic choice to serve with meatloaf. So creamy and delicious!
- Potato Gratin is creamy and delicious and loaded with cheese. One of my favorite potato dishes and it’s the perfect compliment to meatloaf.
- Fried Okra is a southern favorite that goes perfect with comfort food.
- Bacon White Cheddar Pasta is an easy homemade mac and cheese made with extra sharp cheddar cheese with plenty of crispy bacon.
- Almond Green Beans is a classic vegetable to add to your meatloaf dinner. The toasted almonds make these green beans so irresistible.
- Yeast Rolls are an easy homemade roll that goes with just about any meal. Super easy if even if you are not an expert at baking with yeast.
More Easy Ground Beef Dinners to Try:
- If meatloaf is your favorite, you must give this BBQ Fatty a try. It’s a layer of ground beef, a layer of sausage and stuffed with cheese, peppers and onions. All of that wrapped up in a bacon weave and then smoked to perfection. Seriously, y’all!!
- Homemade Salisbury Steak is another comfort food favorite. I remember my mom making this when I was growing up and it was always so good with mashed potatoes!
- Mexican Cornbread is a great dish to change up the dinner routine. Homemade cornbread stuffed with seasoned ground beef, onions, cheese and jalapeños. Straight from my grandma’s recipe box, it’s a tried and true favorite.
- Easy Stuffed Pepper Soup is a hearty meal that is so simple to make! If you are a fan of stuffed peppers, you are going to love how easy this one comes together.
- Swedish Meatballs served over mashed potatoes is a fantastic dinner for any night of the week.
If you find yourself craving comfort food, I insist you give this recipe a try. It’s so flavorful and delicious and like no other meatloaf I’ve ever tried. The peppers and onions add so much flavor and great texture.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup red bell peppers, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasonings
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 cup homemade barbecue sauce
- Add olive oil, onion, red peppers and garlic into a skillet and cook, stirring often until vegetables are softened. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, add ground beef and beaten eggs.
- Add cooked onions and peppers, Italian seasonings, pepper, salt and granulated garlic.
- Mix well and form into a loaf on a lined baking sheet.
- Prepare grill to 300- 350° or oven to 375°.
- Cook meatloaf 25 minutes.
- Brush top and sides with homemade barbecue sauce.
- Continue cooking 30-45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°.
- Allow meatloaf to rest 10 minutes before slicing.
*Our homemade barbecue sauce is gluten free when made with Lea & Perrins or French's worcestershire sauce. Use your favorite gluten free barbecue sauce for this meatloaf.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 773Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 295mgSodium: 914mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 69g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.