As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes are an easy side dish for any meal and delicious enough to serve for holiday dinners and celebrations. Creamy whipped potatoes made with garlic butter is a flavorful addition to your next dinner.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Just take me to the recipe!
If you are just looking for the printable recipe card, scroll on down to the very bottom. Otherwise read on for my tips and tricks for the most flavorful and creamy mashed potatoes!
How to Make Garlic Mashed Potatoes:
- Wash and peel 3 pounds of potatoes. Cut into 1 inch chunks and cover with cold water. Add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and place over medium-high heat.
- Bring potatoes to a boil and stir often. Cook for about 25 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain potatoes in a colander.
- Add butter to a small skillet and add 2 grated garlic cloves. Cook over low heat about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add drained potatoes, garlic butter, sour cream, cream, kosher salt and pepper to a mixer bowl.
- Beat with a wire whisk attachment until smooth and creamy. Serve immediately.
The best way to keep potatoes warm before serving:
To keep potatoes warm, move to an oven safe baking dish, drizzle with butter and cover with foil. Place in a warm – 250 oven until ready to serve.
What potatoes are best for mashed potatoes?
Russets or Yukon Gold are best for mashed potatoes. They are higher in starch and make creamy, fluffy mashed potatoes.
How to boil potatoes for mashed potatoes:
Cut potatoes into small chunks, about 1- 2 inches. Cover with cold water. This will help them cook evenly without getting mushy. Season potatoes with kosher salt as they cook. You can add more salt to taste if needed when you mash them.
How many potatoes to cook per person?
Figure on about 1/2 pound of potatoes per person or about 1 medium sized potato per person. So a five pound bag of potatoes will make about 10 servings.
How long will mashed potatoes last?
Mashed Potatoes can be made in advance and kept in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
How to reheat mashed potatoes:
Place potatoes in an oven safe dish and cover with foil. Place in a 350 over for 20-35 minutes, stirring half way through. Drizzle a little melted butter on top if desired.
More Potato Recipes to Try:
- Potato Gratin is a creamy and delicious side dish with loads of melty cheese. A great addition to any holiday meal or family dinner.
- Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole is a favorite for holidays and every day dinners. Just like Cracker Barrel!
- Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes are a quick and easy side that we love with just about any meal. Great for brunch or any dinner made on the grill.
- Grilled Potatoes are my new favorite. They are made on the grill in a foil packet and loaded with cheese and everything bagel seasoning! Crazy good!
- Best Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes are another must-try potato dish. The browned bits of butter add a ton of flavor to your classic mashed potato recipe.
These Garlic Mashed Potatoes are a great addition to any holiday meal like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter or any special celebration dinner. They are also simple enough for your favorite weeknight meals. Give them a try this week!
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 378 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 48mg Sodium: 511mg Carbohydrates: 50g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g