Southern Fried Okra is crispy and delicious. Made with fresh okra, battered in buttermilk and a seasoned flour and cornmeal mixture. A tasty side dish to add to any dinner.
We grow okra in our garden every year and crispy fried okra is our favorite okra recipe. It is so easy to make at home!
Okra grows best in the scorching summer heat. The smaller pods are the most tender, so pick them early. The larger pods tend to get tough.
If you are purchasing okra from the farmers market or grocery store, look for smaller, bright green pods with no black spots. The black spots indicate the okra is no longer fresh.
Just take me to the Fried Okra Recipe.
If you are just looking for the Fried Okra Recipe, just scroll all the way to the bottom for the easy printable recipe card with full instructions. For my best tips and tricks to make the best fried okra recipe, just keep reading .
- Wash and remove okra tops and slice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Set up a dredging station by adding buttermilk to a shallow dish and flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper to another dish.
- Toss sliced okra in buttermilk and then into cornmeal and flour mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep skillet.
- Fry okra in batches, not over crowding the pan.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with additional salt if desired.
Tips for Deep Frying Okra:
- Use a heavy bottom pot or cast iron skillet. It will help keep your oil at an even temperature.
- Heat oil to 350° before adding your okra.
- Use a strainer or slotted spoon to stir okra to keep it separated to get the crispiest pieces.
- Drain okra on a wire rack lined with paper towels in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with a little kosher salt right when you remove the okra from the oil.
My kids love dipping fried okra in ketchup or ranch dressing. I like it plain but I have to admit dipping it in ranch is pretty tasty.
More Fried Recipes to Try:
Fried Squash is another favorite with our garden produce. My kids are crazy about this easy side dish.
Fried Pickles are the ultimate game day appetizer. Serve them up with ranch dressing for a crowd pleasing snack.
Southern Fried Shrimp is one of our favorites. Buttermilk and seasoned flour makes them crispy and delicious.
Chicken Fried Steak Bites are a hit for dinner any night of the week. Served up with country gravy, this is one of those meals that your family will be begging for.
Easy Popcorn Chicken is a great snack or easy dinner for busy weeknights. So much tastier than the drive thru and easy to make at home.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 275 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 663mg Carbohydrates: 56g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 6g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 10g