Take your Sunday roast beef dinner to the next level with this delicious Rump Roast. It's a tender, flavorful and delicious main course for any occasion. This simple recipe can be grilled or roasted and is seasoned with our homemade beef rub.
Roast beef is always a favorite for Sunday suppers and family dinners. I've made pot roast in the crock pot and roasted in the oven but my new favorite is on the grill!
We have smoked a couple of chuck roasts for Smoked Roast Beef Sandwiches and the Arby's copycat, Roast Beef and Cheddar Sandwiches and they are so delicious. The rump roast is much more tender and just perfect to slice and serve with your favorite Sunday side dishes.
Just take me to the recipe!
Scroll all the way down to the bottom for the printable recipe card, or just read on to get my helpful tips and tricks for cooking a delicious rump roast.
How to Make a Rump Roast:
- Pat roast beef dry with paper towels and season well on all sides with Beef Rub.
- Allow to rest at room temperature for one hour before roasting or grilling.
- Prepare grill to a 250- 300° fire.
- Place rump roast on grill over indirect heat and cook for about 1 - ½ hours for a 3-5 pound roast.
- Test internal temperature with a meat thermometer and remove from grill at about 140-145°.
- Cover roast loosely with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Oven Roasting Instructions:
- Add rump roast to a dutch oven or braising pan. Add 1 cup liquid (beef broth, coffee or water) and cover. Cook at 325° for 1- ½ hours or until internal temperature reaches 145°.
- Remove from pan and allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing.
We love serving this creamy Horseradish Sauce with our roast beef. It's super simple to make and is the perfect compliment to beef.
If you are planning a celebration or holiday meal, our easy Prime Rib recipe is a surefire hit.
Best Side Dishes for Roast Beef:
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes are incredibly creamy and flavorful. Fluffy mashed potatoes with an easy garlic butter.
- Skillet Mexican Street Corn is one of our most requested side dishes. All of the flavor of Mexican elotes without all of the mess.
- Fried Okra is the classic southern side dish with a crispy coating that makes it totally irresistible.
Recipes with Leftover Roast Beef:
- Roast Beef Sandwiches are always a hit but we also love this simple Cheesy Beef Rigatoni pasta bake. It's one of those delicious dishes that is so delicious, that no one will suspect that it's made from leftover roast beef!
- BBQ Roast Beef Wraps are a quick and easy lunch or light dinner. A slight twist on a sandwich. My kids love these!
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest.
- 4 pound beef rump roast
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Mrs Dash Seasoning Blend
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's Season Salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Pat rump roast dry with paper towels and place on a rimmed baking sheet or cutting board.
- Mix the brown sugar, Mrs Dash, smoked paprika, garlic, Lawry's Season salt and sea salt together.
- Sprinkle beef rub over all sides and rub it into the meat.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or allow to stand at room temperature 1 hour before cooking.
- To Grill: Prepare grill to a 250- 300° fire.
- Place roast over indirect heat and cook 1 - 1 ½ hours or until internal temperature reaches 140 - 145°.
- To Roast: Add roast to a dutch oven or braising pan with 1 cup liquid (beef broth, coffee or water). Cover and cook in a 325° oven for 1 ½ hours or until internal temperature reaches 145°.
- Cover roast loosely with foil. Allow roast to rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Store leftover roast in an airtight container up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Reheat slices of roast beef in a skillet coated with olive oil or butter over medium heat. Turn to warm from both sides.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 747Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 291mgSodium: 127mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 74g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.