Take your Sunday roast beef dinner to the next level with this delicious Rump Roast. It’s a tender, flavorful and delicious main course for any occasion. This simple recipe can be grilled or roasted and is seasoned with our homemade beef rub.
Roast beef is always a favorite for Sunday suppers and family dinners. I’ve made pot roast in the crock pot and roasted in the oven but my new favorite is on the grill!
Just take me to the recipe!
Scroll all the way down to the bottom for the printable recipe card, or just read on to get my helpful tips and tricks for cooking a delicious rump roast.
Why You Will Love this Rump Roast Recipe
- Flavorful and Delicious: While a slow cooker pot roast turns out tender, it can be stringy and lacking in flavor. Grilling or oven roasting the roast results in the best flavor and texture in less time.
- Family Favorite Meal: Sunday pot roast recipes make the best family dinner and this tender rump roast recipe is delicious enough for special occasions or holiday dinners.
- Great Way to Feed a Crowd: Tender roast beef served with mashed potatoes and delicious gravy is the best comfort food dinner that will feed a large family.
Ingredients for the Best Rump Roast
- Beef Roast: Rump Roast, Sirloin Tip Roast, Eye of Round Roast
- Brown Sugar
- Mrs Dash Seasoning Blend or your favorite all purpose seasoning blend
- Smoked Paprika
- Granulated Garlic
- Lawry’s Season Salt
- Coarse Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- Beef Broth if oven roasting.
How to Make a Rump Roast
- Pat roast beef dry with paper towels.
- Mix brown sugar with Mrs Dash, smoked paprika, garlic, season salt and salt.
- Rub brown sugar mixture over all sides of the roast.
- Allow to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes to one hour before roasting or grilling.
- Place roast on grill over indirect heat and cook for about 1 – 1/2 hours for a 3-5 pound roast.
- Test internal temperature with a meat thermometer and remove from grill at about 140-145°.
- Cover roast loosely with foil and allow to rest for10 minutes.
- Place on a cutting board and slice thin with a sharp knife.
Oven Roasting Instructions for Pot Roast
- Add seasoned roast to a dutch oven or roasting pan. Add 1 cup of beef broth, coffee or water, and cover with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Cook at 325° for 1- 1/2 hours or until internal temperature of the meat reaches 145°.
- Remove from pan and allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing.
We love serving this creamy Horseradish Sauce with our roast beef. It’s super simple to make and is the perfect compliment to beef.
Best Side Dishes for Roast Beef
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes are incredibly creamy and flavorful. Fluffy mashed potatoes with an easy garlic butter.
- Skillet Mexican Street Corn is one of our most requested side dishes. All of the flavor of Mexican elotes without all of the mess.
- Fried Okra is the classic southern side dish with a crispy coating that makes it totally irresistible.
More Delicious Roast Beef Recipes
- If you are planning a celebration or holiday meal, our Prime Rib is a great recipe and so simple to make.
- Grilled Chuck Roast is a delicious recipe that can be made a head and sliced thin for delicious roast beef sandwiches or makes a great Sunday supper.
- Garlic Butter Beef Tenderloin is another juicy roast beef recipe that is a great option for entertaining guests or holiday dinner parties.
Add this delicious rump roast recipe to your dinner menu this week for a meal the entire family will love.
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest.
- 4 pound beef rump roast
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Mrs Dash Seasoning Blend
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's Season Salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Pat rump roast dry with paper towels and place on a rimmed baking sheet or cutting board.
- Mix the brown sugar, Mrs Dash, smoked paprika, garlic, Lawry's Season salt and sea salt together.
- Sprinkle beef rub over all sides and rub it into the meat.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or allow to stand at room temperature 1 hour before cooking.
- To Grill: Prepare grill to a 250- 300° fire.
- Place roast over indirect heat and cook 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 140 - 145°.
- To Roast: Add roast to a dutch oven or braising pan with 1 cup liquid (beef broth, coffee or water). Cover and cook in a 325° oven for 1 1/2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 145°.
- Cover roast loosely with foil. Allow roast to rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Store leftover roast in an airtight container up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Reheat slices of roast beef in a skillet coated with olive oil or butter over medium heat. Turn to warm from both sides.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 747Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 291mgSodium: 127mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 74g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.