Take your Sunday roast beef dinner to the next level with this delicious Rump Roast. It’s a tender, flavorful and delicious main course for any occasion. This simple recipe can be grilled or roasted and is seasoned with our homemade beef rub.
Roast beef is always a favorite for Sunday suppers and family dinners. I’ve made pot roast in the crock pot and roasted in the oven but my new favorite is on the grill!
We have smoked a couple of chuck roasts for Smoked Roast Beef Sandwiches and the Arby’s copycat, Roast Beef and Cheddar Sandwiches and they are so delicious. The rump roast is much more tender and just perfect to slice and serve with your favorite Sunday side dishes.
Just take me to the recipe!
Scroll all the way down to the bottom for the printable recipe card, or just read on to get my helpful tips and tricks for cooking a delicious rump roast.
How to Make a Rump Roast:
- Pat roast beef dry with paper towels and season well on all sides with Beef Rub.
- Allow to rest at room temperature for one hour before roasting or grilling.
- To Grill: Prepare grill to a 250- 300° fire.
- Place rump roast on grill over indirect heat and cook for about 1 – 1/2 hours for a 3-5 pound roast.
- Test internal temperature with a meat thermometer and remove from grill at about 140-145°.
- Cover roast loosely with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- To Roast: Add rump roast to a dutch oven or braising pan. Add 1 cup liquid (beef broth, coffee or water) and cover. Cook at 325° for 1- 1/2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 145°.
- Remove from pan and allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing.
We love serving this creamy Horseradish Sauce with our roast beef. It’s super simple to make and is the perfect compliment to beef.
Best Side Dishes for Roast Beef:
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes are incredibly creamy and flavorful. The perfect side for any roast beef dinner.
- Best Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes are a simple and delicious with just about every meal. Don’t skip browning the butter, it adds tons of flavor to ordinary mashed potatoes!
- Grilled Potatoes are the perfect side when grilling a rump roast. They will cook in about the same amount of time and they are so tasty.
- Creamy Dill Potato Salad is a great make ahead side dish for grilling or any family dinner.
- Grilled Mexican Street Corn is another easy side with any meal on the grill. This is the most flavorful and delicious corn I’ve ever made!
Recipes with Leftover Roast Beef:
- Roast Beef Sandwiches are always a hit but we also love this simple Cheesy Beef Rigatoni pasta bake. It’s one of those delicious dishes that is so delicious, that no one will suspect that it’s made from leftover roast beef!
- Roast Beef Appetizers are a favorite for game day or as a quick and easy snack. So simple to make with your sliced rump roast!
- BBQ Roast Beef Wraps are a quick and easy lunch or light dinner. A slight twist on a sandwich. My kids love these!
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 747 Total Fat: 48g Saturated Fat: 19g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 22g Cholesterol: 291mg Sodium: 127mg Carbohydrates: 0g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 74g