Get your slow cooker out and let it make dinner for you with this Crock Pot Roast with Caramelized Onions. You will enjoy this hearty roast beef with rich gravy.
How often do you use your slow cooker? I have been relying on mine at least once a week. I thought you might enjoy a few of these easy recipes, like this Crock Pot Roast with Caramelized Onions to get dinner on the table with very little effort.
How To Make Pot Roast with Caramelized Onions
- I do recommend brown the pot roast before you stick it in the crock pot. It does take about 15 minutes but the results are totally worth while.
- Cook onions and garlic until caramelized and and place over the browned pot roast.
- Add in the liquid mixture and let your slow cooker work it's magic!
- You will get a rich and delicious gravy that will be wonderful over mashed potatoes!
When it comes to comfort food, pot roast is hard to beat and if you have leftovers it makes amazing sandwiches especially with homemade Horseradish Sauce!
My Beer Braised Pot Roast is also a Sunday favorite and is totally adaptable for the slow cooker as well. If you are into grilling, we love this Grilled Chuck Roast that makes the most incredible sandwiches.
I absolutely loved the savory gravy that this roast made. I used a mix of vegetable juice and coffee for the cooking liquid and I know that sounds a little crazy but it totally worked.
You get all of that great vegetable flavor minus the mushy vegetables. It's not my mother-in-law's gravy (which is the over the top amazing) but it was great. To get that great gravy you HAVE to brown the roast, don't skip it!
More slow cooker recipes to love:
- Teriyaki Steak
- Coca-Cola Braised Pork Loin
- Savory Citrus Chicken
- Slow Cooker Black Beans
- Slow Cooker Hoisin Chicken from Cookin' Canuck
- Rosemary Mushroom Pot Roast from Neighborhood Food
- 3 pound beef roast
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup vegetable juice V8
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 2 onions sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
for the gravy
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Season roast with salt.
- Add vegetable oil to a skillet and place over medium-high heat.
- Add roast to skillet and brown on both sides.
- Remove roast to slow cooker.
- Add onions to skillet and lower temperature to medium-low.
- Cook onions, stirring often, until caramelized.
- Spread onions over roast and add vegetable juice, coffee and minced garlic.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
!For the Gravy:
- Strain cooking liquid into a saucepan.
- Mix cornstarch and water together until smooth.
- Whisk into cooking liquid and place over medium-high heat.
- Cook, whisking constantly until mixture comes to a soft boil.
- Lower to simmer. Season with remaining salt.
- Serve with roast and mashed potatoes or rice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 770Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 272mgSodium: 1144mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 69g