Creamy Ham and Potato Soup is a comforting and delicious meal for any night of the week that the entire family will enjoy!
A cold snap has hit Oklahoma this week and nothing warms you up more than a big bowl of homemade soup. This Creamy Ham and Potato Soup is packed with flavor and hearty deliciousness. It doesn’t get any better than that!
We had such a feast for Thanksgiving and the leftovers have been downright amazing. I made a Peach and Ginger Glazed Honey Ham and my sister in law made the best turkey I’ve every eaten my entire life. Seriously, turkey is never my favorite but her turkey had so much flavor and it was juicy and I’m still talking about it four days later!
Thank you to DairyPure for sponsoring this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Leftover ham is ideal for this quick and easy soup. I cut the potatoes into small chunks so they would cook quickly. I like bite- sized pieces for soup, it’s easier to eat.
How to Make Creamy Ham and Potato Soup:
This recipe is really quite simple. I sautéed onions, garlic, celery and carrots and added chicken broth, DairyPure milk, ham and potatoes. I heated until it was almost boiling and then turned it down to simmer for about 30 minutes.
I stirred in a little cheese and topped it off with a little bacon for good measure. It made for quite the hearty meal and the whole clan really enjoyed it.
My family goes crazy for my Slow Cooker Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Idaho Potato Soup and so I knew this ham and potato version would be a big hit. I was right and it was lick-the-bowl delicious. We also love this Slow Cooker Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole for leftover ham!
Milk is a staple in my every day and holiday cooking and my boys love a tall glass of milk with just about anything they are eating.
DairyPure milk is the only milk backed by an exclusive Five-Point Purity Promise, ensuring that it:
- Contains no artificial growth hormones
- Is tested for antibiotics
- Is continually quality tested to ensure purity
- Only comes from cows fed a healthy diet and
- Is cold shipped fresh from your local dairy
DairyPure is available in the dairy case at grocery stores nationwide in whole, 2% reduced fat, 1% low fat and skim/fat free milks.
The quality of DairyPure is impressive. My kids loved the taste and it added the perfect creaminess to this Creamy Ham and Potato Soup. It’s also perfect for family favorites like my Chicken Fried Steak Bites with Country Gravy. Good milk equals good gravy, you can count on it!
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 48 oz chicken broth
- 3 cups DairyPure milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 cups diced ham
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Add olive oil to a dutch oven or heavy bottom large pan. Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often. Cook 5-7 minutes or until onions just start to brown.
- Add chicken broth.
- Whisk cornstarch into milk and add to vegetable mixture. Add salt, pepper and turmeric. Stir to combine.
- Add potatoes and ham. Just before mixture comes to a boil, lower heat to a simmer. Cook 30-45 minutes, stirring often until potatoes are tender and cooked through.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon.