As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quick Smoked Sausage Potato Soup is a filling and delicious dinner that can be made in under an hour. Great comfort food for any night of the week.
Quick Smoked Sausage Potato Soup
Potato soup is one of our favorite dinners and probably the soup we make most often. My Slow Cooker Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Potato Soup is always a hit and the entire loved this quick version too.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
PIN IT TO PINTEREST NOW!
Just take me to the recipe! The full printable recipe card is at the very bottom, so just scroll on down to print it out. Otherwise, read on for step by step photos and instructions.
How to Make Quick Sausage Potato Soup:
- Add olive oil to a dutch oven or large pan and place over medium heat. Add diced onion and carrots. Cook, stirring often until softened and onions just start to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Peel potatoes and cut into bite sized chunks.
- Add chicken broth to onions and carrots and add potatoes with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Dice smoked sausage/
- Add smoked sausage.
- Mix milk and cornstarch together and whisk into soup.
- Stir in Mediterranean seasonings, garlic and salt.
- Cook, stirring often until soup has thickened, about 5 minutes.
More Soup Recipes to Try:
- Creamy Ham and Potato Soup is perfect for leftover holiday ham and so comforting and delicious. This soup has lots of cheese and bacon.
- Tuscan Sausage Potato Soup is one of my favorites for a quick and easy dinner. This soup just has a few ingredients and is out of this world delicious.
- Easy Stuffed Pepper Soup is another quick and easy soup recipe. Made with ground beef, sweet bell peppers and is served over rice. I just can’t get enough of this flavorful soup.
- Cheeseburger Gnocchi Soup is a hearty meal that my whole family loves. My parents make it with Italian sausage at least once a week. It’s a must try for dinner.
- Italian Gnocchi Soup only has 5 ingredients and can be on the dinner table in less than 30 minutes.
Potato Soup Recipe Variations:
Potato soup is easily customized to your liking and for what you have on hand. Start with a few vegetables like carrots, onions, celery or bell peppers. Any combination is delicious.
If you would like to keep it vegetarian, use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
Adding in a protein to potato soup makes it hearty and filling. It doesn’t have to be a lot of meat but it will add a great layer of flavor. Plus it’s an easy way to feed the family on a budget.
My favorite meat options are smoked sausage or kielbasa, Italian sausage, bacon, ham. Ground beef or chunks of leftover roast are also great options.
Cheese and herbs are optional. Colby Jack and cheddar are my favorites for potato soup. I use garlic and Mediterranean spices for this soup and rosemary, dill or your favorite steak seasoning mix are also great add ins.
Soup is a great way to clean out the refrigerator and use up leftover bits of vegetables and meat. It’s also easy to stretch soup to feed a crowd by making a little extra broth or throwing in a few extra potatoes.
Tips for Making Potato Soup:
- Use russet or Yukon gold potatoes.
- Cut potatoes into small chunks and they will cook faster.
- If you don’t have cornstarch to thicken the soup, remove about a cup of the cooked potatoes and mash them. Stir them back into the soup to thicken.
- If you are adding cheese, add it at the very end of cooking.
For this recipe we used homemade smoked sausage that we made from venison. It was the first time we had made homemade sausage and it was so much fun.
I was so impressed with how it turned out. We will perfect the recipe a little more and share that with you. Smoked sausage like kielbasa works great in this recipe too.