Sausage and Cornbread Dressing is a holiday staple full of delicious flavor. This recipe is made from homemade cornbread, seasoned bread crumbs and crispy ground sausage along with plenty of herbs and spices.
Sausage and Cornbread Dressing
Holiday traditions are an important part of most families. I didn't give tradition too much thought until I realized how much it meant to my kids.
Traditionally my mother in law always makes chicken and dressing and it is so good! We never stuffed it in the turkey, ever. I guess that's why we call it dressing instead of stuffing.
I wasn't sure how my family would take me adding in sausage instead of chicken and I changed up the seasonings a bit as well. First response was of course, this doesn't taste like Grandma's, but they did enjoy it. So much that there was not even a crumb leftover. I call that a success!
Sausage adds the best flavor and richness to this cornbread dressing. It is the perfect addition to any Thanksgiving dinner menu.
I will definitely be making this Sausage and Cornbread Dressing again and again, it was so flavorful and a wonderful new tradition for our holiday feast!
I love that dressing can be made ahead of time, taking some of the pressure off of the holiday morning. I pressure myself up about plenty of other things and to not have additional stress over the meal is pretty nice.
We always have a huge holiday spread including Peach and Ginger Glazed Honey Ham, Cranberry Salad, Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes, and Angel Rolls to go with our Sausage and Cornbread Dressing. If you have an instant pot, you might want to try this instant pot turkey!
I hope you have a wonderful holiday with your family! I would love to hear about your traditions rather they are new or old!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Total Time 2 hours 5 minutes
- 1 pound ground sausage
- ½ cup butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 4 oz white mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 14 oz seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 batch cornbread, crumbled
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Add sausage to a skillet and place over medium-high heat. Break sausage apart as it cooks, stirring often until crispy and brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Wipe excess grease from skillet with a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add butter and place skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery and mushrooms. Cook, stirring often until vegetables are softened and onions start to brown. Add heavy cream and stir to combine, remove from heat when mixture begins to bubble. Stir in Bread Crumbs until well combined.
- Add mixture to a large bowl along with cornbread and sausage. Mix 1 cup of chicken growth with beaten egg. Pour over cornbread and sausage mixture, stirring to combined. Add seasonings and remaining chicken broth, stirring well until mixture is throughly combined.
- Place in a greased baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour. Remove cover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until cooked through.
Store covered in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Reheat in a covered skillet or an oven safe baking dish covered with foil at 350° until heated through.