Breakfast Sausage is so simple to make at home. A simple mixture of ground pork and spices with a hint of brown sugar will be a great addition to any breakfast menu.
A hearty breakfast is always a great way to start any day. We don't always have a big breakfast during the week but on the weekends, it's a tradition. Our homemade breakfast sausage makes it something special.
How to Make Breakfast Sausage:
- Cut pork shoulder into large chunks.
- Run through the course plate of meat grinder.
- Mix seasonings together in a bowl: brown sugar, sage, salt, pepper, fresh rosemary and red pepper flakes.
- Add to ground pork and mix to combine.
- Place mixture back into meat grinder.
- Grind once more using the small plate.
- Wrap in freezer paper or zip top plastic bags and store in refrigerator until ready to cook.
If you don't have a meat grinder, you can purchase ground pork and add in your spice blend when you are ready to cook your sausage.
To Cook Breakfast Sausage Patties:
- Form into patties.
- Cook over medium -high heat in a skillet for 8- 10 minutes, turning half way through. Sausage will no longer be pink and should reach a temperature of 160° when cooked through.
How long will breakfast sausage stay fresh?
Fresh made sausage stored in an airtight container will keep up to 2 days. Sausage will keep frozen up to 1 year but is best if used within 6 months.
It's also a great addition to Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms that we put on the grill.
Make any breakfast something special with homemade breakfast sausage. We love it with scrambled eggs and toast or layered on buttermilk biscuits with eggs and cheese. It's also amazing to make homemade sausage gravy!
We also used this sausage to make Grilled Sausage Stuffed Zucchini. It was the most delicious thing I've ever tasted! A must-try for dinner. Then we made these Air Fryer Mini Pizzas using our sausage and pepperoni, they were a huge hit!.
Once you try making your own sausage, you may never go back to store bought again. It is quite nice to know exactly what goes into your sausage and you can customize it to your own tastes.
- 6 pounds pork shoulder
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground sage
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Cut pork shoulder into about 2- 3 inch chunks.
- Run through a meat grinder using the large plate.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, salt, sage, pepper, rosemary and red pepper flakes.
- Combine seasonings with ground pork.
- Run mixture through meat grinder once more using the small plate.
- Sausage can be refrigerated up to 2 days in an air tight container or frozen in a freezer bag for up to one year.
- To cook sausage: form into patties and fry in a skillet over medium- high heat.
- Flip to brown both sides, cooking for about 8 - 10 minutes total or until internal temperature reaches 160°.
- Drain on a paper towel lined plate and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 347Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 607mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 26g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.