Buttermilk Biscuits are tender, flaky and delicious. A must have for breakfast and a great addition to your favorite comfort food meals. Spread them with butter or top them with gravy!
I grew up watching my mom make homemade biscuits but it took me years to make a decent homemade biscuit. With a few easy tricks, you can have flaky and delicious biscuits to serve with any meal of the day.
How to Make Buttermilk Biscuits:
- Add flour to a large bowl and mix in baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Grate chilled butter into flour and mix to combine.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Mix just until dough comes together.
- Pour dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently pat into an even layer.
- Cut into biscuits with a bench knife or biscuit cutter. Gently press remaining dough scraps back together and cut into biscuits.
- Place on a greased baking sheet, close together with sides touching.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Brush with butter if desired and serve immediately.
- Use 1/2 cup of shortening and 1/2 cup of butter for a softer, lighter biscuit.
- If using self-rising flour and skip the baking powder and reduce salt to 1/2 teaspoon.
- For a small batch, you can make 1/2 of the recipe.
Tips for flaky biscuits:
- Use well chilled butter and buttermilk for the flakiest biscuits.
- Don’t overwork your biscuit dough or it will be tough.
- Placing biscuits close together on the baking sheet so that they are touching will produce a taller, fluffier biscuit.
How to Store Biscuits:
Store cooled biscuits in an airtight container on the counter for up to 2 days or refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Buttermilk Biscuits are my favorite with homemade Sausage Gravy, Chocolate Gravy and Bacon or homemade Breakfast Sausage. A tried and true family favorite for the weekends. We also love these Ham and Cheese Biscuits for an easy breakfast.
Try them for a dessert by spreading with softened butter with a drizzle of honey or your favorite jam.
These biscuits turn out so buttery, flaky and delicious. Rather it is breakfast, lunch or dinner, try a batch for your next meal.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups cold buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together in a large bowl.
- Grate butter into flour or cut in with a fork and mix until well combined.
- Pour in buttermilk and stir just until mixture comes together.
- Pour onto a floured surface and pat into an even layer.
- Cut into biscuits.
- Place biscuits on a greased baking sheet, touching.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Brush with additional butter if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 309Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 620mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.
Recipe originally published in 2011, updated with text and new photos.