Ham and Cheese Biscuits are a great grab and go breakfast or a tasty addition to any meal of the day. Flaky buttermilk biscuits filled with smoky ham, cheese and garlic flavor.
This recipe is a twist on my classic Buttermilk Biscuits that I make about once a week. My family loved these for an easy protein packed breakfast that they could grab on their way out the door. A great idea for leftover ham and easy to make ahead for a busy week.
How to Make Ham and Cheese Biscuits:
- Mix all purpose flour with baking powder, sugar, salt and granulated garlic in a mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening and butter.
- Mix in diced ham and shredded cheese.
- Add buttermilk and stir until dough comes together. It may be a bit sticky.
- Pour dough out onto a well floured surface and roll or pat out about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Use a biscuit cutter to cut into circles.
- Place on a lined baking sheet with the biscuits touching.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until biscuits are lightly browned around the edges.
- Brush with melted butter.
Serve with your favorite breakfast, lunch or dinner or just grab one on the go for a filling and delicious snack.
Any shredded cheese will work. Smoked gouda, cheddar or colby-jack are all great options.
Use all butter or all shortening in the biscuits.
Cut recipe in half for a smaller batch.
How to Store and Reheat:
Store cooled, room temperature, biscuits wrapped in plastic wrap or in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
To reheat, slice in half and toast in a toaster oven or place on a baking sheet and bake for 8 -10 minutes at 325°.
Can You Freeze Biscuits?
Freeze the baked biscuits on a parchment lined baking sheet for 2 hours. Store in a zip top freezer bag in the freezer for up to 6 months. Reheat frozen biscuits on a lined baking sheet for 15-18 minutes at 325°.
If you have leftover ham, this easy Ham Soup is loaded with veggies and pasta in a cheesy broth that everyone will love.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup diced ham
- 8 oz shredded cheese, I used Colby Jack
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups cold buttermilk
- 1/4 cup melted butter for brushing tops, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, granulated garlic and salt together in a large bowl.
- Cut butter and shortening into flour with a fork and mix until well combined.
- Add in ham and cheese and stir to combine.
- Pour in buttermilk and stir just until mixture comes together.
- Pour onto a floured surface and pat into an even layer.
- Cut into biscuits using a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits on a greased or lined baking sheet, touching.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Brush with melted butter if desired.
Recipe can be halved for a smaller batch.
Store leftover biscuits in an airtight container up to 4 days or frozen in a zip top freezer bag up to 6 months.
Reheat in a 325° oven 10-15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 545Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 1004mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 16g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.