Sausage and Pepper Rice is a quick and easy weeknight dinner that uses staple ingredients. This is a filling and delicious meal that you can have on the table in about 30 minutes!
PIN IT TO PINTEREST NOW!
Ingredients for Sausage Pepper Rice:
- Ground Sausage
- Onions, Garlic, Bell Peppers
- Long Grain White Rice
- Olive Oil
- Beef Base
- Salt, Pepper, Granulated Garlic
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
How to Make Sausage and Pepper Rice:
- Add sausage to a large skillet and place over medium heat, cook breaking up sausage to brown on all sides. We used our homemade breakfast sausage, Italian sausage would be delicious too.
- Make the rice by adding long grain white rice to a pan with water, beef base and granulated garlic. Bring to a boil, cover and lower to simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the sausage browns, chop your onions and peppers. This veggie chopper is my favorite kitchen time saver and it's very affordable! Go ahead and mince the garlic as well.
- When sausage is cooked through, remove to a bowl and set aside. =
- Add olive oil to the skillet and add peppers and onions. Cook over medium heat until vegetables start to caramelize.
- Mix in sausage and cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper and stir well.
- Garnish with fresh herbs like basil and parsley if desired.
- Serve immediately.
This could be made in one pot but I will wash the extra pan to save a little time. If you aren't in a hurry you can cook the sausage, the peppers, onions and garlic and then add to the pan with the rice, water, beef base and granulated garlic. Cover and cook 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
How to Store & Reheat:
Store leftovers in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 4 days.
Reheat in a covered skillet with a few tablespoons of water. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 8 - 10 minutes.
We rarely have leftovers of this sausage and pepper rice but it we do, everyone is fighting over it the next day. It's just as delicious when reheated.
We love this dinner so much that we turned the combination into a filling for Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms that can be baked or grilled.
Add this sausage and pepper rice skillet meal to your list to make this week. It's seriously simple and has tons of flavor that will have everyone coming back for seconds.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
- 1 ½ lbs sausage
- 1 ½ cups rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped onions
- 1 ½ cups chopped peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh herbs for garnish such as basil and parsley,optional
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Break sausage up into crumbles to brown well.
- Combine rice, water, beef base and granulated garlic in a pan and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to simmer. Cook 15 minutes.
- Remove browned sausage to a bowl and set aside.
- Add olive oil, onions, peppers and garlic to the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring often until vegetables start to brown.
- Stir sausage and cooked rice into vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped basil and parsley if desired.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 4 days. Reheat in a skillet with about 2 tablespoons of water. Cook over medium heat, stirring often until heated through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 465Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 1639mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 17g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.