Homemade pizza is a family favorite at our house and this Pesto Meatball Pizza is my new go to recipe!
I went out to the garden to water this evening and I think my basil plant is ready for another trimming and that means another batch of pesto. My new favorite pesto dish has to be these Pesto Meatballs, especially when topping a pizza!
These were hands down my favorite meatballs ever! I loved that they were bite sized and just bursting with flavor from my homemade pesto.
Here’s the annual first day of school photo of Emmet, I didn’t even broach the subject of taking one of Tucker…. he’s a senior and not interested in mom’s picture taking! He can’t wait for senior pictures, oh wait, that’s me.
So it’s been a good week and I’ve been way busier than I anticipated but lots of work is a good thing. So finally I’m sharing this wonderful pizza recipe that I know you are going to love.
- 1 pound ground beef
- ⅓ cup pesto, I used my Roasted Garlic Basil Pesto
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 prepared pizza dough, homemade or store bought
- 2 cups marinara
- 2 cups shredded cheese - I used a combination of Cheddar and Pepper-Jack
- fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add ground beef, pesto, egg and salt into a bowl and mix together with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Scoop meatballs with a teaspoon and roll into balls. Place on a baking sheet about ½ inch apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through, remove from oven and set aside.
- Raise oven temperature to 500 degrees.
- Roll each pizza dough into about a 12 inch circle or to desired thickness.
- Place in an iron skillet or a baking sheet.
- Add one cup of sauce over each crust, top each with half of meatballs. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes and lower oven to 475 degrees. Continue to cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Garnish with basil.