As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Roasted Garlic Basil Pesto is perfect for your summer abundance of basil! Enjoy it with pasta, pizza, chicken and more.
My garden has really taken off the last few weeks and it was time to make pesto. Pesto is so simple to make and is one of my favorite ways to really boost the flavor in a dish.
Pesto is basically basil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, nuts, olive oil and salt and pepper. I changed up my basic pesto recipe by using roasted garlic and I used smoked almonds in place of the usual pine nuts. Pine nuts are a little hard to come by in my little town and the smokey almonds were a great substitution.
For the roasted garlic, I just cut the tops off of the heads of garlic, placed them on a baking sheet, drizzled with olive oil and popped them in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
Check out this step by step post on Roasting Garlic from A Spicy Perspective. I’ve been using the roasted garlic in everything, it is so wonderful.
My KitchenAid 13-Cup Food Processor makes it so easy! This thing is a work horse. Pesto in five minutes or less, seriously you have to make it.
I will be sharing a couple of the wonderful meals that we enjoyed using this Roasted Garlic Basil Pesto later on this week so be sure to check back in.
Have you made pesto? What’s your favorite version?
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves
- ⅔ cup smoked and salted almonds
- 4 roasted garlic cloves
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Add basil, almonds and garlic cloves to a food processor bowl and pulse 8 to 10 times or until finely chopped. Add Parmesan and pulse 2 to 3 times. With processor running, drizzle olive oil in slowly. Scrape sides of bowl and stir in salt and pepper.
- Place in an airtight container and drizzle with enough olive oil to coat the top. This will keep the pesto bright and green.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
SIGN UP TO HAVE AN EMAIL DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX FOR EACH NEW RECIPE!
Disclosure: I received the KitchenAid Food Processor for recipe development purposes but I was not compensated for this post. As always thoughts and opinions are my own.