As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Easy Barbecue Meatball Hoagies make for a hearty and delicious meal that is so satisfying. A real family pleaser and the perfect sandwich for game night or any family dinner.
Meatball Hoagies are one of my family’s favorite meals, they literally beg for them again and again and today I’m showing you just how easy they are to make and my secrets for how to make the best meatballs!
Barbecue Meatball Hoagies
This is no ordinary sandwich. I don’t get very excited over sandwiches but this one totally stole my heart. Of course the key to an amazing sandwich starts with awesome bread!
I am very excited to partner with Martin’s Famous Potato Rolls and Bread on this sponsored post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Martin’s Hoagie Rolls are made with no trans fats, no high fructose corn syrup, no ADA, and are non-GMO. The best part is the taste, these Hoagie buns are seriously delicious. Martin’s became famous for their amazing potato rolls and also have a wide assortment of sliced breads, dinner rolls and sandwich rolls.
I didn’t grow up eating meatloaf or meatballs and while I will usually eat them, they are not my favorite. It’s really a texture thing with me.
A while back we were watching one of the Andrew Zimmern shows where he travels around and tries the local cuisines from all over the world. This episode featured the famous Mamma Agata from the Almalfi Coast of Italy.
He declared that she made the best meatballs that he had ever tasted. We were quite smitten by Mamma Agata and her cooking. Now I want to go to Italy and take her cooking class!
I watched intently on how she went about making the meatballs so that I could try her method.
She said that meatballs should be like a cloud. She was able to make her meatballs like clouds by combining the ground meat with bread that had been soaked in milk. The next step is really what got my attention.
How to Make Meatballs:
She rolled the meatballs in flour and then deep fried them! I had never tried deep frying meatballs. I usually bake them or just pan fry them.
I think the flour seals all of the moisture of the meatball and makes the outside just perfectly crisp and the most amazing texture.
She dropped the meatballs right down into the sauce when she got them out of the oil. I attempted this method the very next day and they were in fact, the best I’d ever made! So when it came time for the best Barbecue Meatball Hoagie, I was ready!
The results were phenomenal! This was hands down, the best sandwich I have ever made. If you are into making your own barbecue sauce, you have to check out my Dr Pepper Barbecue Sauce. It is so incredibly delicious and just perfect for coating meatballs!
Try this Jalapeno Barbecue Sauce if you are into spicy meatballs! It’s sweet and spicy and adds a ton of flavor to your favorite barbecue dishes.
How to Make Barbecue Meatball Hoagies
- Brush Martin’s Hoagie Rolls lightly with garlic butter and lightly toast.
- Add a layer of coleslaw to the toasted rolls.
- Top with Barbecue Meatballs.
- Garnish with chopped green onions.
Barbecue Meatball Hoagies are the perfect meal to feed a hungry crowd. You can make the meatballs ahead of time and add them with the sauce in the crockpot to keep them warm until ready to serve.
So next time you are having friends over for game day or just having everyone over for dinner, these sandwiches are just the ticket for an easy, crowd- pleasing dinner. You might also like these Cocktail Meatballs for an easy appetizer!
Perfect Sides to Complete Your Meal:
More Ground Beef Dinners to Check Out:
- BBQ Meatloaf
- Barbecue Meat Pies
- Homemade Salisbury Steak
- Dr Pepper Sloppy Joes
- Cheeseburger Gnocchi Soup
- Zesty Taco Pasta Bake
- Easy Weeknight Taco Meat ~ Unsophisticook
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 slice bread
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 2 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 5 Martin's Hoagie Rolls
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 green onions, sliced
- coleslaw for serving, optional
- Add ground beef to a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, add milk and bread and mix together until smooth, add to ground beef along with the beaten egg, onion, garlic and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to form meatballs.
- Roll meatballs in flour and place on a baking sheet.
- Add oil to a heavy skillet and heat to 350 degrees. In another pan, add barbecue sauce and place on low.
- Cook meatballs in batches about 4 minutes each, turning to brown all sides.
- Drain meatballs as you remove them from the oil and place into barbecue sauce.
- Simmer meatballs about 5 minutes in sauce.
- Mix butter and granulated garlic. Brush over outsides and tops of hoagie rolls and toast lightly.
- Place coleslaw (if desired) in hoagie rolls and top with barbecue meatballs. Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1146Total Fat: 76gSaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 1796mgFiber: 3gSugar: 49gProtein: 24g