As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chocolate Toffee Bars are rich and delicious. A really simple dessert for holidays and family get togethers. A cookie crust topped with a gooey toffee layer and lots of chocolate!
Dessert bars are my favorite when I’m short on time, they go together quickly and are quicker than baking batch after batch of cookies.
I adapted this recipe from a Southern Living cookbook years ago. It’s always been a favorite so I thought it was time for a photo update.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Just take me to the recipe! If you are just searching for the printable recipe card, just scroll on down to the very bottom. You’ll find the ingredients list and directions. Otherwise, read on for the step by step photos.
How to Make Chocolate Toffee Bars:
- Add butter, brown sugar and an egg yolk to a mixer bowl and beat until creamy.
- Next add in all purpose flour and salt, mixing until combined.
- Press into a 9 x 13- inch baking pan in an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- In a saucepan, add sweetened condensed milk and 2 tablespoons butter. Cook over medium heat, bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture over baked crust and return to oven to bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with toffee bits and chocolate chips. Allow to stand 10 minutes.
- Spread chocolate into an even layer. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place bars in refrigerator until chocolate is set.
- Allow to stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before slicing into bars.
How to Store Chocolate Toffee Bars:
These bars are fine stored at room temperature if covered with plastic wrap. I like to keep them in the refrigerator. The texture is a little chewier if they are slightly chilled.
They are easier to slice if you set them out for about five minutes before slicing.
You can make these dessert bars 2 days in advance. Wrap cooled bars in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Slice just before serving.
Dessert bars are great for potlucks, game day parties and celebrations. They are so easy to make ahead and easy to transport. These Chocolate Toffee Bars would also make a great addition to your holiday goodie baskets.
More Dessert Bars to Try:
Lemon Bars with Cream Cheese Icing are a classic dessert for any occasion. A family favorite dessert that will garner a front row spot in your recipe box.
Frosted Cookie Bars have a delicious sugar cookie base and an amazing buttercream frosting and tons of sprinkles. A crowd favorite!
Salted Caramel Cookie Bars are rich and delicious. The perfect balance of sweet and salty. They are filled with chocolate chips, caramel bits and pecans.
Snickerdoodle Bars are quick and easy and loaded with the classic cinnamon and sugar flavors.
Cherry Almond Bars are something different to bring to your next get together. Super easy recipe and tons of flavor!
These Chocolate Toffee Bars are a super simple dessert for any night of the week and they are delicious enough for a special occasion. They are guaranteed to be the hit of any desserts table.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
For the Crust:
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Filling:
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup toffee bits
- 1 12 oz package chocolate chips (milk chocolate or semi sweet)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat 3/4 cup of butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add brown sugar, beating well. Add egg yolk, beating well.
- Add flour and salt, stirring just until blended. Press dough into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk and 2 tablespoons butter in a medium-size heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over prepared crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle warm bars with toffee bits and chocolate chips. Gently press mixture into uncut bars.
- Let rest for about 10 minutes, when chocolate becomes soft, spread evenly over bars.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Chill until chocolate is firm. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into bars.
Adapted from Southern Living
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 462 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 65mg Sodium: 181mg Carbohydrates: 59g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 48g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g
Originally published November, 2010.