Date Bars are an old fashioned chewy cookie bar filled with chopped dates and nuts. An easy and delicious treat to bake for any day of the week.
I've always been a huge fan of date bars and when I found a recipe my mom had clipped from an old magazine, I had to give them a try. The original recipe was for chewy date cookies but I knew they would be even better as bars.
Dates are sticky and sweet giving these bars a great chewy texture and they are rich enough to satisfy any sweet tooth.
Pin it To Pinterest Now!
Ingredients for Date Bars:
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Butter & Shortening
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda & Salt
- Dates & Nuts
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
How to Make Date Bars:
- Cream butter, shortening, sugar and eggs together with an electric mixer. Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix well.
- Mix in chopped dates and nuts.
- Spray a jelly roll pan ( 10 x 15 x 1 inch) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread dough evenly into pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes and dust with powdered sugar.
- Slice into bars and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Store leftover bars in an airtight container up to 5 days.
I use a combination of chopped pecans and walnuts. Use what ever you have on hand or skip the nuts if you prefer.
Mix in white or milk chocolate chips in place of the nuts.
Add in 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon for a warm fall dessert.
Scoop into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet and bake for 10- 12 minutes.
Dessert bars are a favorite for busy days at our house. I love to just pop them in the oven and go on with my to-do list while they bake, instead of scooping individual cookies. If you are looking for something different, these old fashioned date bars are sure to please.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 8 oz (1 ½ cups) cut up dates
- 1 ¼ cups chopped nuts ( I used walnuts and pecans)
- non stick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a mixer bowl, cream brown sugar, sugar, butter, shortening and eggs together.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix until combined.
- Mix in dates and nuts and combine.
- Spray a jelly roll (10 x 15 x 1 inch) pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Press dough evenly into pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar and cut into bars.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Store cooled bars in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 234mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 2gSugar: 29gProtein: 5g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.