My procrastination is catching up with me. I am the chief bookkeeper for our ranch and small businesses. It is April 7th and I am still working on our books to take to the accountant. I should spend less time making cookies and more time working. But what’s the fun in that?
So I will keep this short. These Chocolate Chip Turtle Cookie Bars are rich and delicious and I am declaring them my new favorite. You have classic chocolate chip cookie dough layered with dulce de leche caramel, pecans, and topped with more chocolate chip cookie dough.
I slightly under-baked these and the results were gooey and delicious. You can bake them a bit longer and get a more cookie-like base. Either way, just make them!
- ½ cup softened butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup dulce de leche caramel
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 x 9 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add butter to a mixer bowl and beat until creamy. Add sugars and beat until combined. Add egg and vanilla and continue to beat about 2 minutes.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Beat until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour half of cookie dough into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Heat dulce de leche in microwave for about 20 seconds, stir and pour over cookie dough, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with pecans.
- Dollop remaining cookie dough over the top and carefully spread evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes for gooey bars (add 5 to 10 minutes for a more cookie-like base).
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.