Apple Dumplings are a seriously easy and delicious dessert to serve for any occasion. Made with refrigerated crescent dough, tart apples and a buttery brown sugar and cinnamon sauce. Top it with vanilla ice cream for a family favorite treat.
Apple desserts are a favorite all year long for us but I rarely take the time to bake an apple pie. These quick and easy crescent apple dumplings are just as delicious and take a fraction of the time!
Ingredients for Apple Dumplings:
- Refrigerated Crescent Dough
- Granny Smith Apples
- Brown Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Kosher Salt
- Sprite (Lemon Lime Soda)
- Non Stick Cooking Spray
How to Make Apple Dumplings:
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a pan, melt butter with brown sugar, cinnamon and salt over low heat.
- Whisk until well combined, remove from heat and set aside.
- Peel, core and slice each apple into 8 slices.
- Unroll crescent dough and wrap each triangle around an apple slice.
- Layer in the pan.
- Pour brown sugar mixture over each crescent.
- Pour Sprite around edges of the pan, do not pour over the crescents. It's going to look like a lot of liquid but it cooks up into a delicious sauce.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Drizzle with sauce and top vanilla ice cream if desired.
How to Store and Reheat:
Store leftover apple dumplings covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave in 30 second intervals until heated through or in a 325° oven for about 12- 15 minutes.
For the best texture, I recommend peeling the apples. It's only 2 apples and worth the effort.
Apple pie filling does not work as well in this recipe as fresh apples.
Granny smith apples are my favorite for apple dumplings but Gala apples will work too. Try to choose a firm apple that will hold up while baking.
Any lemon lime soda or Mt Dew will work to make the sauce.
Sliced peaches are also delicious in this recipe in place of the apples.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
- non stick cooking spray
- ¾ cup butter (1 ½ sticks)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cans refrigerated crescent dough
- 12 ounces Sprite
- Vanilla Ice Cream for serving, optional
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt butter in a pan with brown sugar, cinnamon and salt, whisking until well combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Peel and core the apples. Cut each apple into 8 slices.
- Unroll crescent dough and wrap a triangle around each apple. Place in baking dish.
- Spoon brown sugar mixture over crescents.
- Pour Sprite around the edges and down the center of the crescents. Do not pour over the crescents. It will seem like a lot of liquid but it will bake into a delicious sauce.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Drizzle sauce over dumplings and serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.
Store leftovers covered in plastic wrap in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Reheat in microwave in 30 second intervals until heated through or in a 325° oven for 12- 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 495Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 459mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 36gProtein: 5g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.