As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Smothered Burritos are a delicious dinner if you love burritos and enchiladas. Seasoned ground beef wrapped in flour tortillas and smothered in a sour cream sauce for a hearty dinner to add to your weekly menu.
How to Make Smothered Burritos
- Cook ground beef in a skillet over medium- high heat, breaking it up as it browns. Season with taco seasoning, stir in water and continue to cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make the sauce by melting butter in a saucepan, whisk in flour and cook for 3 minutes. Whisk in chicken broth, salsa verde, sour cream, heavy cream, garlic and cumin. Cook until sauce thickens.
- Pour half of sauce into a baking dish.
- Spoon seasoned ground beef into flour tortillas and roll up. Place seam side down into sauce. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Pour remaining sauce over the top of the burritos.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, garnish with green onion tops if desired. Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with additional sour cream and salsa if desired.
These smothered burritos are simple recipe to make with ground beef. I love how easily they come together with just a few ingredients.
How to Store and Reheat Smothered Burritos:
Cover leftovers with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 2 days.
Reheat burritos, covered with foil in a 325° oven for 15 minutes.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 12 flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces chicken broth
- 12 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- green onion tops for garnish, if desired
- sour cream and salsa for serving
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stirring to break up and brown evenly.
- Add taco seasonings and water and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes, remove from heat and set aside.
- Add butter to a saucepan and whisk in flour. Cook over medium heat. Whisk continually for about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, sour cream, heavy cream, salsa verde, cumin and garlic. Continue to whisk, heating until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Pour half of sauce in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Spoon ground beef into tortillas and roll up. Place seam side down into sauce.
- Pour remainder of sauce over the top of the burritos.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with additional sour cream and salsa if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 552Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 730mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 26g