Philly Chicken Sandwiches are an incredibly delicious meal for busy weeknights. Made easily with smoked chicken or a rotisserie chicken from the deli and loaded with sautéd peppers, onions and topped with melty cheese!
Philly Chicken Sandwich
Sandwiches are perfect for a quick dinner, especially when you have chicken on hand from weekend grilling or that you’ve picked up from the market.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Just take me to the recipe! Just scroll on down to the very bottom for the recipe card that you can even print out! Otherwise read on for the step by step photos on making these tasty sandwiches!
For the Smoked Chicken:
- If you are smoking your chicken, follow the steps of How to Brine and Smoke a Whole Chicken.
- For this whole chicken, after brining, we coated the outside of the chicken with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/4 cup of Mediterranean Seasonings, under the skin, on the outside and in the cavity and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- We smoked the chicken for about 1 1/2 hours over indirect heat at about 300°.
- You can also use a chicken from your grocer’s deli or oven roasted chicken breasts.
We used one breast for four sandwiches, we used the remainder of the chicken for Easy Chicken Noodle Soup.
How to Make Philly Chicken Sandwiches:
- Carve the chicken breasts and slice them thin.
- Sauté one large sliced onion and 1 cup bell peppers in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast 4 buttered Philly cheesesteak buns.
- Top bottom buns with sliced chicken, top with sautéed peppers and onions.
- Sprinkle the top buns with shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle cheese with Mediterranean seasoning.
- Place under the broiler until cheese is melted and starts to bubble. Place melted cheese buns over chicken, peppers and onions. Serve immediately.
This is one of the best sandwiches that I’ve ever made. It’s a new family favorite and will be on the regular dinner rotation.
We love to brine and smoke whole chickens over the weekend. There’s so many quick and easy recipes we can make throughout the week with this kind of meal prep.
There’s so much flavor in a smoked chicken and you can season them any way you like. I may never roast another chicken in the oven again.
More Sandwiches to Try:
- Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches are quick and easy for a family friendly weeknight dinner. Crispy breaded chicken cutlets topped with marinara and mozzarella.
- Roast Beef Sandwiches are always a hit. This is another one of our meal prep recipes that we love from weekend grilling. These sandwiches are topped with creamy horseradish sauce and crispy onion strings.
- Steak Sandwiches are served on toasted French bread with lettuce, red onion and tons of grated Parmesan. An easy way to stretch your steak and feed the whole family.
- A simple Smoked Turkey Sandwich is always a favorite, especially with your Thanksgiving leftovers.
- BBQ Mustard Chicken Tender Sandwiches are so flavorful and just downright delicious. These are served on a garlic toasted English muffin and are a real crowd pleaser.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
- 1 whole chicken breast, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup sliced bell peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 Philly Cheesesteak Buns
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon Mediterranean Seasoning
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, if desired
- Add olive oil, onions and peppers to a skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until onions start to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Butter both sides of buns. Place on a baking sheet and toast lightly under the broiler.
- Top bottom buns with sliced chicken and top with peppers and onions.
- Sprinkle top buns with shredded cheese and Mediterranean Seasonings.
- Place back under broiler just until cheese has melted and starts to bubble.
- Place melted cheese buns over chicken and peppers.
- Serve immediately.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1586Total Fat: 95gSaturated Fat: 35gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 54gCholesterol: 223mgSodium: 2598mgCarbohydrates: 96gFiber: 7gSugar: 12gProtein: 86g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.