Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts are an incredibly delicious appetizer that is super simple to make for holidays, parties and game day get togethers. Only 3 ingredients in this easy appetizer!
Just take me to the recipe! If you just need to print out the recipe card, scroll on down to the bottom of the post or use the jump to recipe button at the top. You will find the full ingredients and instructions. Otherwise read on for step by step photos of the process.
Ingredients for Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts Recipe
- Whole Water Chestnuts – find them on the Asian isle of grocery stores. You will find cans of water chestnuts and cans of sliced water chestnuts. Either will work but the whole water chestnuts are preferred.
- Thin Sliced Bacon – Thinner bacon works best for this recipe because it cooks quicker and the end result will have more crisp bacon texture while thicker bacon ends up chewier.
- Barbecue Sauce – Dr Pepper Barbecue Sauce is a great option or mix ketchup, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce for an easy savory sauce.
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts
- Cut thin sliced bacon into thirds
- Drain 2 cans of water chestnuts.
- Wrap bacon pieces around water chestnuts and secure with a toothpick.
- Place in a single layer on a lined baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Drain excess bacon grease and save in an airtight container for another use.
- Pour bbq sauce into a small bowl. Dip bacon wrapped water chestnuts into Dr Pepper Barbecue Sauce and return to baking sheet. You can also brush the sauce over the bacon using a bbq brush.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes until bacon is cooked to desired doneness.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
It is important to let these cool before serving. They smell so good and it’s hard to resist digging right in but the sticky hot bbq sauce needs to cool down. Plus if you let them rest for a bit, the bacon crisps up and they are even better. You can serve these warm or at room temperature.
Recipe Notes for Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts Appetizer
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Reheat: Place on a lined baking sheet and bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until heated through.
- What are Water Chestnuts? Water chestnuts are not actually nuts, they are a tuber vegetable that grows under water. They can be served raw or cooked and are often included in stir fry, casseroles and salads. They have a mild flavor and are prized for their crunchy texture. Find them on the Asian isle of any grocery store.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What You Need for Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts
- Parchment Paper is my favorite for lining baking pans. You can also use aluminum foil, but I like the parchment paper best.
- Wooden Toothpicks or fancy Bamboo Picks are perfect for bite sized appetizers.
More Tasty Appetizers to Try
- Fried Pickles are a great recipe that is irresistible and so delicious dipped in Peppercorn Ranch!
- Easy Deviled Eggs are a great addition to any holiday, cookout or family dinner.
- Fried Tortellini are a great thing to make before the party, so good dipped in marinara sauce.
- Southern Fried Shrimp is a great appetizer for parties and special occasions.I love dipping them in cocktail sauce or tartar sauce.
- Cocktail Meatballs are made with Italian Sausage and are guaranteed to a huge hit of any party!
- Knorr Spinach Dip is a classic dip and party appetizer that you can make ahead we never have one bite left!
- Get more Easy Appetizers for parties, game day gatherings and simple holiday entertaining.
Why You Will Love this Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts Recipe
- Classic Appetizer Recipe: The saltiness of the bacon and sweet bbq sauce wrapped around a crunchy water chestnut is the perfect appetizer party food that everyone loves.
- Make Ahead Appetizer: A popular appetizer that is really simple to make that can be made ahead and is one of the best bite-sized appetizers that anyone can make.
- Great for Any Occasion: Favorite appetizers for holiday parties, Super Bowl parties or game day gatherings, cookouts and potlucks.
Barbecue Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts are always the first to disappear from our appetizer bar, no matter what the occasion is. My kids can’t get enough of these and I usually end up making a double batch.
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
- 1 pound thin sliced bacon
- 16 ounces whole water chestnuts (2 cans)
- 3/4 cup Dr Pepper Barbecue Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut bacon into thirds.
- Drain water chestnuts.
- Wrap bacon slices around water chestnuts and secure with a toothpick. Place on a lined baking sheet in a single layer, not touching.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Drain bacon grease and reserve for another use.
- Pour bbq sauce into a small bowl. Dip wrapped water chestnuts in barbecue sauce and return to baking pan.
- Bake for another 10- 15 minutes or until bacon is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 1019mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 20g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.