How to Make the best Tartar Sauce. This homemade tartar sauce recipe is so easy to make at home with pantry ingredients and it’s so much better than anything you can buy at the grocery store!
Why You Should Make Homemade Tartar Sauce
- 2 step recipe with simple ingredients that you probably have on hand.
- This sauce is guaranteed to be better than any store bought version.
- A great compliment to any fish dinner or to serve with fried shrimp.
Ingredients for Tartar Sauce
- Real Mayonnaise – if you are a fan of Miracle Whip, you can use that.
- Dill Pickle Relish or Sweet Pickle Relish
- Capers – Find these near the pickles at any grocery store. They add tangy, briny flavor.
- Lemon Juice – use fresh if you can.
- Dried Dill – adds the signature flavor to tartar sauce.
- Granulated Garlic – adds depth of flavor and compliments the dill.
- Black Pepper – adds just enough spiciness.
- Worcestershire Sauce – adds savory flavor to balance out the creaminess of the mayo.
- Kosher Salt – for flavor.
How to Make Tartar Sauce
- In a bowl, add mayonnaise, pickle relish, capers, lemon juice, dill, garlic, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Whisk together until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Easy Tartar Sauce Variations
- Add any fresh herbs that you have on hand. Parsley, cilantro or thyme would be great additions.
- Capers are optional. They add a salty, briny flavor but can be skipped if you don’t have them on hand.
- If you love horseradish, it can really add a lot of flavor to your tartar sauce.
- Add chopped green onions for a mild onion kick.
- If you like a spicy kick, you can always stir in a few diced pickled jalapeños.
How Long Will Tartar Sauce Keep?
Tartar Sauce will usually keep about 2 weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I have kept it a bit longer if it didn’t have fresh herbs in it.
Delicious Dishes to Serve with Tartar Sauce
- Fish Sticks are a weeknight favorite with the entire family. They are so simple to make at home, quick and easy!
- Grilled Fish Tacos are smoky and delicious and can be topped with tartar sauce for extra flavor.
- Fried Fish Sandwich from Foodie Crush – I’m craving it now!
I’ve been making homemade tartar sauce since I was a teenager working in our family catfish restaurant and this version is our absolute favorite. The best part is that it takes less than five minutes to make!
Tartar Sauce is so easy to make from scratch. Use the ingredients you have on hand. I recommend refrigerating your tartar sauce for an hour or so to let the flavors really come together. However, if you are in a rush, just mix it up while you are cooking the fish. It will still be delicious.
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Add mayonnaise into a small bowl with pickle relish and capers, lemon juice, dill, garlic, pepper, salt and Worcestershire sauce.
- Whisk until mixed well.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Can be refrigerated for up to two weeks in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 100Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 133mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.