This One Hour Ham and White Bean Soup is a hearty and delicious dish that tastes like it has cooked all day thanks to the secret ingredient, a bottle of beer!
One Hour Ham and White Bean Soup
Soup has become one of my favorite comfort foods and this is just a good solid soup recipe. Simple and just what I needed on a blustery cold day.
It is perfect for using up leftover ham and goes together quickly for a great weeknight dinner.
How to Make Ham and White Bean Soup:
I diced up the vegetables and started them cooking with the garlic. Added in the Petit Jean Meats Ham to brown it just a bit. I added in the broth, beer and the beans and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. I used Shiner Bock, my new favorite beer, just use whatever you have on hand.
About the time the soup was done simmering I had the thought that barley would also be great in this soup. I will be trying that next time for sure. You could also add in some cooked rice to stretch this soup to feed a few more people.
More Soup Recipes to Try:
Easy Stuffed Pepper Soup has become one of my all time favorites. It's so flavorful and a quick and easy ground beef dinner.
Easy Chicken Noodle Soup is a hearty soup that everyone loves. My kids ask for this on a weekly basis. I use homestyle noodles and it's so delicious.
Tuscan Sausage and Potato Soup is quick, easy and incredibly delicious. It has a spicy kick from the sausage and you just won't believe how amazing this soup turns out with just a few ingredients.
Creamy Ham and Potato Soup is another great soup recipe for leftover ham. This is probably the soup I make the most often. It's good any time of year.
Serve this up with a pan of Skillet Cornbread or your favorite crusty bread for a comforting and delicious dinner!
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ pound smoked ham, diced
- 2 cans 15.5 oz Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 12 oz beer
- Place a Dutch oven or heavy pan over medium- high heat. Add olive oil celery, onions, carrot and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often until vegetables soften, about 10 minutes.
- Scrape vegetables to sides of pan and add ham to center. Cook for about 5 minutes or until ham starts to crisp and brown.
- Add beans, chicken broth and beer. Raise temperature to high and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 501Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 1773mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 15gSugar: 3gProtein: 34g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.