Jalapeño Popper Zucchini Casserole is a flavorful and delicious side dish to add to any meal. A super simple recipe with layers of fresh sliced zucchini with creamy jalapeño, cheese and bacon filling that is all topped off with Ritz crackers and more bacon!
Jalapeño poppers are one of the most popular appetizers you can make and this casserole puts a new spin on the favorite by adding in sliced zucchini. This isn't your typical squash casserole and my favorite part is that it isn't mushy!
PIN IT TO PINTEREST NOW!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
How to Make Jalapeño Popper Zucchini Casserole:
- Slice zucchini into about ¼ inch slices. Chop jalapeño, garlic and green onions.
- In a bowl, combine softened cream cheese with ranch dressing mix and sour cream.
- Stir in jalapeño, garlic, green onions, shredded cheese and bacon until well combined.
- In a bowl, crush a sleeve of Ritz crackers and stir in melted butter and remaining bacon.
- Spray a 9 x 9 inch pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Cover the bottom of the casserole dish with zucchini slices.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over zucchini in an even layer.
- Top with remaining zucchini slices, overlapping is fine.
- Sprinkle cracker mixture evenly over zucchini.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until center is bubbly and cracker topping is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
If your garden, or your neighbor's garden is overflowing with zucchini, this is going to be your new go-to recipe! It's so delicious and our entire family loved it. Everyone wanted to make sure that I would be making it again soon.
- Use medium to small zucchini cut into about ¼ inch slices for the best texture.
- Cook bacon in the oven! It really cuts down on the mess and it's so easy.
- I added 1 chopped jalapeño, use more to your own taste if you like it extra spicy. Substitute chopped sweet pepper for the jalapeño if you aren't a fan of spicy foods.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in a skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes, flipping half-way through, or covered with foil in a 350° oven for about 15 minutes.
Can you Make it Ahead?
To speed things up, the bacon can be made ahead and the zucchini sliced. I don't recommend assembling until you are ready to bake the casserole.
My family is totally fine with meat and potatoes, they could take or leave the vegetables most of the time. Everyone that tasted this casserole said they could make a meal out of it. When my side dish steals the show, I know I'm on to something good! I hope you'll give it a try soon!
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and membranes removed, diced
- ½ cup diced green onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons ranch dressing mix (dry)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled - divided use
- 1 sleeve Ritz Crackers (35 crackers)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- non stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Wash and dry zucchini and remove ends. Slice into ¼- inch slices. Set aside.
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream, Ranch Dressing Mix and kosher salt.
- Stir in jalapeño, green onions and garlic.
- Mix in shredded cheese and half of the bacon.
- In another bowl, crush crackers into crumbs, use the bottom of a heavy glass or just crush with your fingers. Add melted butter and remaining bacon and mix to combine.
- Spray a 9 X 9 inch baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
- Layer half of zucchini covering the bottom of the dish.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over zucchini in an even layer. Top with remaining zucchini, overlapping to cover all of the cream cheese mixture.
- Top with cracker and bacon mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cream cheese mixture is bubbly and cracker topping is golden brown.
If topping starts to brown too quickly, cover loosely with foil.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 days. Reheat in a skillet for 5-8 minutes over medium heat. Flip casserole about half-way through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 823mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 12g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.