Hot Buttered Rum is the classic holiday party cocktails. Made with a delicious cinnamon and spice butter, spiced rum and apple cider. Top it all off with a generous dollop of whipped cream for a decadent cocktail that will warm you up!
Hot Buttered Rum
If you are looking for ideas for your holiday parties and celebrations, this warm winter cocktail is a great addition. The sweet cinnamon butter is easy to make ahead and this drink comes together rather easily.
Just take me to the recipe! Scroll to the very bottom for the printable recipe card. Read on for step by step photos and directions.
There is something wonderfully cozy about a mug of hot buttered rum on a cold winter night. It's one of my favorites. If you haven't tried it yet, add it to your list this holiday season.
How to Make Hot Buttered Rum:
- Mix softened butter with honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger together until well combined.
- You can make this cinnamon honey butter up to 3 days in advance of your party. Keep in an airtight container until the day of the party. Bring to room temperature about 2 hours before serving.
- Bring apple cider, or water to a boil.
- Place cinnamon honey butter in a 4 cup measure and add black spiced rum and boiling cider.
- Whisk together until well combined.
- Pour into 4 mugs and top with sweetened whipped cream.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and a dash of ground cinnamon if desired.
We made our hot buttered rum with apple cider and black spiced rum. It was really sweet with honey and brown sugar. If you aren't into super sweet drinks, you can substitute boiling water for the cider.
Spiced rum works great too, I'm just really partial to Black Spiced Rum.
Make a non- alcoholic version by skipping the rum. The kids will love the hot buttered cider!
Rather you are hosting a small get together with friends or the whole family for the holidays, these Hot Butter Rum Cocktails are a great addition.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup honey
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups apple cider
- ¾ cup black spiced rum
- ½ cup sweetened whipped cream
- 4 cinnamon sticks for garnish, optional
- In a mixing bowl, add softened butter, honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Mix well, until smooth.
- Place in a 4 cup glass measure.
- Heat 2 cups apple cider to boiling.
- Pour over cinnamon honey butter and top with rum.
- Whisk together until butter has dissolved and mixture is smooth.
- Pour into 4 mugs and top with whipped cream.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and a sprinkle of additional cinnamon if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 562Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 198mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 1gSugar: 60gProtein: 1g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.