Bacon Hashbrown Casserole is a hearty casserole that makes the perfect side dish for any breakfast, brunch or dinner. A family favorite that you will be making again and again.
Our Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole is such a popular recipe and we make it all the time for an easy side dish. I just couldn't resist adding in crispy bacon and a bit of jalapeno for the best bacon hash brown casserole ever!
Bacon Hashbrown Casserole ~ Cheesy Potato Casserole
A homemade version of the classic funeral potatoes made with fresh potatoes and a creamy sauce instead of cream of chicken soup. Filled with gooey cheese and it's easy to make it spicy or mild with jalapeno flavor.
- non-stick cooking spray
- Sour Cream
- Heavy Cream
- Chicken Base ~ A thick, paste that adds delicious bullion like flavor to dishes. Find it near the bullion at any grocery store. My favorite brand is Better than Bullion.
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Jalapenos ~ We only used one small jalapeno and it added just a bit of flavor. Add more if you like a spicy kick.
- Cheddar Cheese
- Russet Potatoes
How to Make Bacon Hashbrown Casserole:
- Cook bacon in the oven while you prepare the casserole. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels. Crumble or place on a cutting board and chop with a sharp knife.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick cooking spray or grease with butter.
- In a large bowl, add sour cream, heavy cream, melted butter, chicken base, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Peel potatoes and shred on the large grate of a box grater.
- Squeeze shredded potatoes between your hands over the sink or into a bowl to remove excess liquid. This is the secret step that will keep the hash browns from being soggy or mushy. It works for fried hash browns too.
- Place shredded potatoes in another large bowl.
- Dice onion and jalapeno (removing the seeds and veins). Mince garlic.
- Add onion, jalapeno and garlic to potatoes with half of shredded cheese and half of the bacon.
- Pour sauce over the top.
- Stir mixture with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Pour potato mixture into the prepared baking dish and smooth evenly.
- Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with remaining crumbled bacon.
- Bake for 45 minutes to one hour until golden brown around the edges.
- Remove oven and cool about 5 minutes before serving.
HOW TO MAKE AHEAD:
This casserole is a dish that just gets better the next day. Prepare up to 2 days in advance. Mix it up and cover tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, do not bake. Refrigerate until ready to bake. Set casserole out to come to room temperature and then bake as directed.
More Add-In Ideas:
- Diced bell peppers are a great addition with the onion mixture for O'Brien potatoes.
- Cooked sausage or ham can also be added for a heartier casserole.
- Sliced green onions are great to sprinkle over the baked cheesy potatoes.
How to Store and Reheat:
Store leftover casserole in a covered dish or airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
Reheat in a non-skillet over medium-low heat, stirring until heated through. Casserole can also be reheated in a 350° oven, uncovered for about 10- 15 minutes.
What to Serve with Bacon Hashbrown Casserole:
Bacon hash brown casserole is a great side dish for any meal of the day. Serve it for a great breakfast with buttermilk biscuits and homemade breakfast sausage and eggs.
It goes great with BBQ Chicken or Fried Chicken Strips for a hearty comfort food meal. It even makes a great side for burgers, ribs or pork chops on the grill.
Occasions to Serve Bacon Hashbrown Casserole:
A hearty breakfast casserole is perfect for Christmas morning and everyone loves this cheesy bacon hashbrown casserole recipe. We also serve it for Easter brunch and it's delicious enough to add to all holiday dinners.
If you are a bacon lover, give this easy Garlic Asparagus recipe a try with crispy bacon.
More Delicious Potato Casseroles:
Twice Baked Potato Casserole is my go-to side dish for grilled steaks or if we are having a family celebration. It's full of your favorite baked potato flavors and easy to make ahead.
Potato Gratin has delicious layers of thin sliced potatoes in a cheesy garlic sauce, baked to bubbly perfection. It's a decadent side dish that will have everyone coming back for seconds.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole is a delicious main dish casserole to make for busy weeknights. Full of delicious and comforting flavors.
Add this easy Bacon Hashbrown Casserole to the menu this week. It's always a huge hit for family dinners and works great for potluck dinners and cookouts with friends.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
Bacon Hashbrown Casserole
Bacon Hashbrown Casserole is a hearty casserole that makes the perfect side dish for any breakfast, brunch or dinner.
- non-stick cooking spray
- 12 ounces sour cream
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon chicken base
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided use
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 j- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled - divided use
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine sour cream, heavy cream, butter, chicken base, salt and pepper.
- Peel and shred potatoes using the large side of a box grater.
- Squeeze handfuls of shredded potatoes over the sink or over a bowl to remove excess liquid. This will keep the potatoes from being mushy. If using a bowl, discard liquid.
- Place drained potatoes into a large mixing bowl and add diced onions, jalapeno and half of the bacon and half of the cheese.
- Pour the sauce over the top and stir with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Add hashbrown mixture to prepared casserole dish and spread evenly.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese and bacon crumbles.
- Bake, uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour until casserole is bubbly and golden brown around the edges.
- Remove from oven and cool about 5 minutes before serving.
Store covered casserole in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
Bring to room temperature and reheat in 350° oven for 10 - 15 minutes uncovered. Casserole can also be reheated in a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat, stirring until heated through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 448mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.
Such an amazing day starter!! It is really easy to make, too!
This is the best breakfast. The whole family loved it.