Skillet Apple is a classic American dessert that is perfect for any occasion. This double crust apple pie bakes in a cast iron skillet for a delicious flaky crust filled with cinnamon apples.
The smell of warm apple pie is just about impossible to beat and who can resist a slice of apple pie topped with ice cream? This simple recipe is easy enough for any day of the week and delicious enough for holidays and special occasions.
The old saying goes, “as easy as pie” but I always take exception when it comes to the pie crust. I’ve been using this pie dough recipe for ages and it’s pretty simple to make in the food processor and easy to roll out and shape. If I’m pinched for time, I like to use a store bought crust.
🟢 Ingredients Needed
- Pie Dough – homemade or store bought for double crust
- Apples ~ Use your favorite variety: Honey Crisp, Granny Smith, Gala or Fuji are great options.
- Brown Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Kosher Salt
- Granulated Sugar
🟢 Step by Step Directions
- Peel and core apples and cut into quarters.
- Thinly slice the apples and place in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch and salt.
- Pour over the sliced apples and toss to coat.
- Place one pie crust into the skillet.
- Add the cinnamon apple filling, spreading evenly.
- Roll out the top pie dough and place over the top of the apples.
- Trim and crimp the edges to seal.
- Cut a few slits in the top to vent.
- Beat the egg and brush over the pie crust and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place the skillet onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake the pie for 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly, crust is golden brown and the apples are cooked through.
- Cool on a baking rack for about 30 minutes before slicing.
- Slice the pie and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Top with a scoop of homemade Cinnamon Ice Cream for a decadent and delicious dessert that everyone will love.
🟢 Recipe Notes
Storage: Store pie covered at room temperature up to 2 days or refrigerate up to 4 days.
Pie Pan: If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, a 9 inch pie dish works too.
Skillet Apple Pie with cinnamon ice cream is a comforting and delicious dessert for any occasion. A flaky double crust pie with tender and juicy cinnamon apples is a surefire winner every single time.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
- prepared pie dough for double crust
- 8 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (about 6 cups) Honey Crisp, Granny Smith or Fuji
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cinnamon Ice Cream for Serving
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place apples slices into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt.
- Pour over apple slices and toss to coat.
- Place one pie dough in a 10 inch cast iron skillet or a 9 inch pie plate.
- Pour apple mixture into crust and top with top pie dough. Trim and press edges to seal.
- Using a sharp knife, cut several slits to vent.
- Brush top with egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are cooked through.
- Cool 30 minutes or to room temperature before slicing.
- Serve with cinnamon ice cream if desired.
Store pie covered with foil at room temperature up to 2 days or in the refrigerator up to 4 days,.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 162mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 5gSugar: 40gProtein: 3g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.