NY Strip Steak makes a great dinner for date night in or special occasions. Well seasoned strip steaks are seared over a hot grill fire for the perfect tender, juicy and delicious steak.
Look for thick cut strip steaks or ask the butcher to slice them for you. A thicker steak is not going to over cook so easily. Choose a well marbled steak and look for a choice or prime cut for the best flavor and tenderness.
- NY Strip Steaks
- Olive Oil
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Garlic
- Black Pepper
- Kosher Salt
- Chili Powder
- Dried Thyme
- Smoked Paprika
Step By Step Directions
STEP 1 Pat steaks dry with paper towels.
STEP 2 Brush both sides with olive oil.
STEP 3 In a bowl, combine brown sugar, garlic, pepper, salt, chili powder, thyme and smoked paprika.
STEP 4 Sprinkle rub over both sides of the steaks.
STEP 5 Prepare a grill fire to 400°.
STEP 6 Sear steaks on the grill for 3 minutes.
Flip the steaks and continue to cook 3 minutes.
Flip the steaks one more time, cooking until steaks reach desired doneness using a digital meat thermometer.
- Rare: 130°
- Medium Rare: 140°
- Medium: 155°
- Well Done: 165°
STEP 7 Remove steaks to a serving platter. Rest 5 minutes.
STEP 8 Serve immediately.
- Skillet Method: Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat. When it is hot, coat lightly with olive oil. Sear steaks for 3 minutes, turn to sear the other side for 3 minutes. Lower temperature to medium- low and cook until steak reaches desired temperature using a digital meat thermometer.
- Storage: Store leftover steak in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
- Reheat: Coat a skillet in olive oil or butter and cook sliced steak over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through.
More Grilled Steak Recipes to Try
- Garlic Butter Steak and Lobster Tails is another favorite for special occasions. Made with beef tenderloin and lobster tails drizzled with a tasty toasted garlic butter.
- Surf and Turf is a grilled ribeye steak with grilled shrimp and rival your favorite steakhouse dinner.
- Steak and Shrimp Appetizers can be made with ribeye or strip steaks for an impressive appetizer for any occasion. Tender and juicy grilled steak bites with garlic butter shrimp.
Plan a date night in to celebrate Valentine's Day, anniversaries or any special occasion with NY Strip Steaks that are so easy to make on your backyard grill or cast iron skillet.
If you love this recipe as much as we do, please leave a comment and a five star review. Help us share on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook!
- 3- 4 thick cut NY Strip Steaks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons garlic
- 1 tablespoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- Prepare a grill fire to 400°.
- Brush olive oil over the steaks on both sides.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, garlic, black pepper, chili powder, dried thyme and smoked paprika.
- Sprinkle the rub over all sides of the steaks.
- Sear the steaks over a hot grill fire for 3 minutes. Turn the steaks, cooking 3 minutes. Turn the steaks once more and continue to cook until desired doneness is reached using a digital meat thermometer. We cooked these steaks to 140°.
- Remove steaks to a serving platter and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.
Cooking Temperature for Steak:
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 595mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 22g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.