Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad with Sesame Dressing is a quick and easy lunch or light dinner to make when are short on time and ideas.
I am a huge fan of making a meal out of salad but it has to have meat to be considered the main dish around here. I love making this Simple Grilled Chicken Salad with citrus dressing and when I'm craving Tex-Mex, Chicken Fajita Salad hits the spot.
Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad ~ Quick and Easy Dinner
I used to love getting mandarin chicken salad in restaurants and I finally got around to making it at home. A nice bed of lettuce topped with mandarin oranges, grilled chicken, green onions, and crunchy almonds with a quick sesame dressing.
- Leaf Lettuce ~ We used green leaf lettuce, spring mix or spinach work great too.
- Mandarin Oranges ~ Use canned (you know you have a can that needs to be used in the pantry) or fresh cuties when they are in season.
- Smoked Chicken ~ We love to brine and smoke a whole chicken or two over the weekend and the leftovers are perfect for this salad. Of course any cooked chicken or a rotisserie chicken will work here.
- Carrot ~ Julienne cut adds the perfect crunch to the salad.
- Chow Mein Noodles ~ Optional garnish, we love the extra crunch.
- Toasted Sliced Almonds ~ My favorite addition to any salad.
For Sesame Dressing:
- Lite Soy Sauce
- Olive Oil
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Toasted Sesame Oil
- Brown Sugar
- Ground Ginger
- Granulated Garlic
- Fresh Ground Pepper
How to Make Mandarin Chicken Salad:
- Whisk the sesame dressing together in a bowl.
- In a serving bowl or on a platter, tear the lettuce into bite size pieces.
- Top with carrots and oranges.
- Add chicken and green onions. Top with almonds and chow mein noodles.
- Serve with dressing.
How to Store:
If you are planning to have leftover salad, don't add the chow mein noodles or dressing. Store salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator 1- 2 days. Keep dressing in a separate covered container, stir before using.
More Easy Salads to Try:
BBQ Chicken Salad is always a great meal idea. Made with bbq chicken tenders, it's one of my favorite meal prep recipes.
Taco Salad is a weeknight favorite. Crispy taco bowls filled with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and seasoned ground beef topped off with a salsa ranch dressing.
Greek Salad with Roasted Garlic Dressing has all of the classic flavors plus including feta cheese and a delicious homemade dressing.
Balsamic Bacon and Pecan Pecan Salad is hearty and delicious with fresh nectarines and grapes for a simple and delicious meal.
Salmon Avocado Salad is perfect for leftover grilled salmon and has tons of delicious flavors.
This Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad is great for a quick lunch or light dinner, especially as the temperatures warm up and it's too hot to cook. We loved it so much that we've made it twice this week!
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
For the Sesame Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
For the Salad:
- 8 cups lettuce, spinach or spring mix torn into bite size pieces
- 1 pound smoked or cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chow mein noodles
- ¼ cup toasted sliced almonds
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a bowl with a whisk. Set aside.
- Layer lettuce, oranges, chicken, carrots, onions and almonds in a serving bowl on on a platter.
- Serve with dressing and garnish with chow mein noodles.
Store undressed salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator 1-2 days. Store dressing in another airtight container and refrigerate, stir before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 660mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 6gSugar: 14gProtein: 33g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.