As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Grilled Spaghetti Squash is an easy side dish to add to your grilling plans. Flavored simply with butter, garlic, salt and pepper for a great low-carb addition to any dinner.
My daughter in law gave us a spaghetti squash that she received as part of her her grocery pick up as a substitute for a cantaloupe – hilarious, right? Anyway, we decided to give it a try on the grill and loved it. It seriously doesn’t get any easier than this!
How to Grill Spaghetti Squash:
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. You will need a strong arm and a big knife. They are not easy to cut.
- Scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Place 2 tablespoons of butter into each half and sprinkle with garlic, salt and pepper.
- Place spaghetti squash cut side up onto indirect heat of a 300° fire. We used hickory for smoke flavor, pecan would be great also.
- Cook with the lid closed about 30- 35 minutes. Test squash by piercing with a fork for tenderness. Squash will easily shred when cooked through.
- I like spaghetti squash to maintain a bit of texture or bite like pasta better than if it’s cooked longer and softer.
- Remove from grill to a sheet pan.
- Shred with a fork. If you are having a casual family dinner, you can serve it right from the sheet pan. If you are entertaining, just scoop out the shredded squash to a serving dish.
- Top with parmesan cheese and fresh herbs if desired.
- You can also add in diced tomatoes or top with your favorite marinara sauce or Alfredo sauce.
Spaghetti Squash is a healthy addition to any dinner. My family seriously loved the grilled squash so much that we have planted spaghetti squash in our garden this year.
What is Spaghetti Squash?
I am a huge fan of summer squash, especially when it’s Fried Squash! Spaghetti squash is a winter squash. It has a mild almost sweet flavor, different from other winter squash like acorn or butternut. When it’s cooked it becomes stringy when you shred it. A lot like spaghetti and while it’s a great substitute it is not pasta. The texture is a lot more similar if you do not over cook it.
I have roasted spaghetti squash in the oven and I’ve had it in a casserole but it is my favorite on the grill. Most people seem to cook it cut side down to get the grill marks but after it is shredded, those are not noticeable. I loved how the garlic butter cooked down into the squash. It was very flavorful and delicious.
I hope you will give this grilled spaghetti squash a try soon. It is now a favorite at our house, we will be making this often to go with our other grilling recipes.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Fresh grated Parmesan Cheese, optional
- fresh parsley or thyme for garnish
- Prepare grill to a 300° fire with pecan or hickory for smoke flavor.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise.
- Scrape out seeds and discard.
- Place 2 tablespoons of butter in each half.
- Season with garlic, salt and pepper.
- Place spaghetti squash over indirect heat on grill. Close the lid and cook 30 - 35 minutes or until fork tender. Squash will easily shred when it is cooked through.
- Remove from grill. Shred with a fork.
- Scrape out to a serving dish and top with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 687mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 2g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.