Easy Strawberry Cake is a great dessert to make any day of the week and pretty enough for holidays and celebrations. Made from scratch with fresh strawberries and a to die for strawberry cream cheese frosting!
Easy Strawberry Cake
Strawberry Cake is one of the most requested desserts at our house and this is the first time I have made one from scratch. I slightly adapted a recipe I found from Southern Living and it's definitely earned a spot up front in my recipe box!
How to Make Strawberry Cake:
- Cream softened butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Beat in eggs, lemon juice and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, Jello powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine milk and buttermilk.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and milk beginning and ending with flour mixture until well combined.
- Fold in strawberries.
- Pour into a well greased cake pan. Bake at 350° for about 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
I used Pam for greasing my pan. You can also use parchment paper with shortening and dust it with flour.
How to Make Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Mix softened cream cheese with powdered sugar and Jello powder until smooth and creamy.
- Add lemon juice, mixing until combined. Add in milk and beat until completely smooth.
- Fold in strawberries. Spread over cooled cake.
Tips for Strawberry Cake using fresh strawberries.
- Wash strawberries and allow to dry on paper towels until completely dry.
- Once you dice strawberries, scatter them over dry paper towels and blot them gently to remove excess moisture.
- Strawberries can make your icing runny and taking the extra step to dry them will help keep your icing thick.
What size pan should I use for strawberry cake?
I used my new jelly roll cake pan for this. You can also bake in a 9 x 13 cake pan and you might have to bake it for a few more minutes.
Should you refrigerate strawberry cake?
The strawberry cream cheese icing should be refrigerated. This strawberry cake can be served as soon as you frost it or refrigerate for 4 hours for a chilled cake and the icing will actually set up and be more firm.
Can you use frozen strawberries in strawberry cake?
I would not recommend frozen strawberries in this strawberry cake or frosting. Frozen berries have too much liquid for the cake or the frosting to set up properly.
How long will strawberry cake keep if refrigerated?
Cover leftover cake with plastic wrap or foil and it will keep in the refrigerator up to 3 days. After that, the fresh strawberries start to get a little soft.
This Easy Strawberry Cake is perfect for any spring celebration like Easter and a favorite for summer cookouts and 4th of July parties. Easy to prepare ahead and a crowd favorite.
More Strawberry Desserts to Try:
Strawberry Slab Pie is my most popular dessert ever, adapted from my grandma's favorite recipe! Strawberry Shortcake Egg Rolls are a fun twist on the classic dessert! Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Pie is a super simple summer dessert that everyone absolutely loves!
More Cake Recipes to Try:
Texas Sheet Cake is always a favorite and it's so easy to make! Lemon Pineapple Poke Cake is one of our favorites and this Coconut Cream Cake is beyond amazing.
I've been making this Buttery Almond Pound Cake often, it is so simple and delicious! For a tried and true family favorite, this Butter Pecan Spice Cake is a definite winner.
If you are hosting a special celebration or holiday gathering try this Million Dollar Pound Cake. It's super simple and incredibly delicious!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
My Favorite Tools for Baking Cakes:
This jelly roll pan is my new favorite! You can also use a 9 X 13 Cake Pan. I use both my Stand Mixer and Hand Mixer for baking. Silicone Spatulas are a must and these are my go-to brand. I love these Vintage Charm Mixing Bowls, they remind me of the set my mom gave me. These pot holders are really great, I'm the worst at burning myself when baking.
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
Easy Strawberry Cake
Easy Strawberry Cake is a great dessert to make any day of the week and pretty enough or holidays and celebrations. Made from scratch with fresh strawberries and a to die for strawberry cream cheese frosting!
For the cake
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons strawberry Jello (the powder, not prepared)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ⅔ cup diced strawberries (fresh not frozen)
For the Frosting
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons strawberry Jello (the powder)
- ⅔ cups diced strawberries (fresh not frozen)
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon milk
!For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Beat in eggs, lemon juice and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, Jello powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine milk and buttermilk.
- Alternate flour mixture and milk beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating well.
- Fold in strawberries.
- Pour into a greased jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack completely before frosting.
!For the Frosting:
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and Jello powder until smooth and creamy. Add lemon juice and beat until combined. Add milk and beat until smooth. Fold in strawberries.
- Spread over cooled cake. Serve immediately or chill for 4 hours to allow frosting to set up.
Cover cake with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator.
Wash strawberries and allow to dry on paper towels until completely dry.
Once you dice strawberries, scatter them over dry paper towels and blot them gently to remove excess moisture. Strawberries can make your icing runny and taking the extra step to dry them will help keep your icing thick.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 239mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 1gSugar: 47gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information is estimated and may not be accurate.
Have you ever tried thus recipe in Mini Fluted cake pans? I was thinking that mini “Bundt's” would be really pretty🥰
I think this will work in any cake pan, you might have to adjust the baking time. They would be really pretty! Let me know how they turn out if you try it.
Good idea. I have lovely mini swirl bundt pan from Williams-Sonoma. I will use this recipe.
Cream cheese icing doesn’t have the amount of jello powder included in ingredients? Instructions listed it but not amount under ingredient?
How much dry jello for the frosting? Its listed as an ingredient but no amount.
Use 1- 2 tablespoons to your liking for the icing. I will update the recipe card.
Can't find the rest of the recipe for the strawberry daiquiri on how to make it
Thanks for posting this! My family loves it.❤️
Baked this cake for my birthday and it was an absolute hit! So moist and tasty. Thank you for doing what you do
Can I use all milk instead of the buttermilk
You can or make a buttermilk substitute by adding about 1/2 tablespoon to a scant 1/2 cup of milk.
I hope that helps.
Can you omit the strawberry pieces in the cake
Yes you can.
Is the lemon juice a necessary ingredient or can it be omitted?
If you don't have lemon juice, substitute white vinegar.