Buttery Almond Pound Cake is one of the easiest from scratch cakes that I’ve ever made. Easy enough to mix up for a weeknight dessert and delicious enough for special occasions.
Buttery Almond Pound Cake
This Buttery Almond Pound Cake recipe comes from The Weeknight Desserts Cookbook by Mary Younkin of Barefoot in the Kitchen. I have already made 4 recipes from this fabulous cookbook and so far this cake is my absolute favorite.
Just take me to the recipe!
Scroll on down to the very bottom for the printable recipe card with the ingredients and full instructions. Otherwise read on for the step by step photos for this super easy cake and the cookbook review.
How to Make Buttery Almond Pound Cake:
- Butter and flour a loaf pan and set aside.
- Combine softened butter and brown sugar in a bowl and beat until fluffy. Add eggs and almond extract and beat until smooth.
- Add milk and beat until combined.
- Next, add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Place a cooling rack on top of the cake, hold the sides and invert the pan over the rack. Let the cake cool before slicing.
- To Glaze the cake: melt butter in a small bowl and stir in powdered sugar, milk and almond extract. Whisk until smooth and drizzle over cake.
- Top with sliced almonds if desired.
More Cake Recipes to Try:
- Million Dollar Pound Cake is crazy delicious! It is so buttery and decadent. Great for parties, holidays and special occasions.
- Amaretto Pound Cake is a delicious buttery bundt cake with a rich Amaretto glaze. Great for celebrations and holidays.
- Brown Butter Pound Cake is a classic Southern Living that is always a big hit. Simple and delicious.
- Coconut Pound Cake is super simple and delicious dessert for any night of the week. Just a few ingredients in this easy cake.
- Apple Butter Bundt Cake with Peanut Butter Icing is so delicious for an easy dessert that is great for potlucks and family dinners.
- Easy Strawberry Cake is filled with fresh strawberries and a sweet strawberry icing. I love this one for feeding a crowd.
- Vanilla Pound Cake is another simple loaf cake that you will make again and again.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Weeknight Dessert Cookbook Review:
I am so in love with this cookbook! The recipes are so simple, they really are perfect for busy weeknights. I’m the kind of gal that wants dessert every night and The Weeknight Desserts Cookbook is just the ticket for those easy dessert recipes!
So far I’ve made the Almond Lovers Crinkle Cookies, Nut Lovers’ Oatmeal Cookies and the Pistachio- Chocolate Chunk Cookies plus this Buttery Almond Pound Cake. Every recipe was a hit and lasted less than 24 hours. Seriously good for anyone with a sweet tooth!
The recipes have simple, everyday ingredients. I actually had everything on hand to make each of these recipes. I love it when I can whip up an easy dessert and not have to run to the grocery store.
There are 80 irresistible recipes with only 5 to 15 minutes of prep. There are one-pan cakes, cookies, bars, crisps and cobblers, ice creams, puddings and sauces plus a whole section of no bake treats.
You simply must have this cookbook! Buy one or two for your dessert loving friends also. Pick up a copy at major book retailers or from Amazon.
Mary has also written The Weeknight Dinner Cookbook (see my review) and the Weekday Lunches & Breakfasts Cookbook (see my review). All of Mary’s cookbooks are incredible. The recipes are great for busy families, the kind that you make again and again.
For the Cake
- ½ cup butter, softened plus more for pan
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour plus more for pan
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons almond extract
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
For the Glaze:
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup sliced almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 Arrange oven rack to the center of the oven. Thoroughly grease and lightly flour a 6 cup loaf pan with butter.
- To make the cake, combine the butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy crumbs form. Add the eggs and almond extract and beat until smooth. Add the milk and beat on low speed to combine. Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Beat until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45- 55 minutes, or until golden on top and light brown on the edges. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Then place the cooling rack on top of the cake, hold the sides firmly, and invert the pan over the rack. The cake should drop smoothly out of the pan. Tap firmly on the pan with a wooden spoon, if necessary, to free the cake from the pan. Let the cake cool complete before slicing.
- If you’d like to make the glaze, melt the butter in a small glass bowl in the microwave, about 15 seconds. Add the powdered sugar, milk and almond extract. Whisk together until smooth. The glaze should pour off the spoon in a white stream. Add 1 teaspoon more of milk to thin it or 1 or 2 tablespoons more of powdere
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 426Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 224mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 1gSugar: 45gProtein: 6g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.