Texas Sheet Cake is a classic chocolate sheet cake with a chocolate and pecan frosting. Perfect for any holiday, celebration or family dinner. An easy dessert made from scratch that everyone is sure to love.
Texas Sheet Cake
This Texas Sheet Cake recipe has been in my recipe box for over 25 years. I got it from a neighbor and it's one of my go-to recipes for an easy dessert to feed a crowd.
This chocolate sheet cake is made with pantry staples, it's easy to whip up even for last minute get togethers. The rich chocolate frosting can be made with or without chopped pecans.
How to Make Texas Sheet Cake:
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan and whisk in cocoa powder. Add water and bring the mixture to a boil. Set aside.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a mixer bowl. Stir in chocolate mixture and ⅓ cup sweetened condensed milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Pour into a jelly roll pan and bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing: combine melted butter, cocoa powder, remaining sweetened condensed milk. Add in powdered sugar and pecans.
- Spread over warm cake.
There are a few steps to this cake but I promise it is totally worth while and your family will love it. A simple dessert that is impossible to resist.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What is a jelly roll pan?
A jelly roll pan is usually a 15" x 10" inch rimmed baking sheet, which is slightly smaller than a rimmed half sheet pan which is 12" x 18". Did you know there was a difference? I actually never noticed until recently.
I have found myself without a jelly roll pan and couldn't figure out why my sheet cake turned out so thin! This jelly roll pan on Amazon is in the cart and it will be arriving in 2 days, no more super thin sheet cakes!
If you use a half sheet baking pan in place of a jelly roll pan, your cake will likely be done a few minutes earlier and will be thinner. Your recipe will not be a failure by any means.
More Cakes Recipes to Check Out:
Easy Strawberry Cake is made from scratch and has an incredibly delicious cream cheese strawberry frosting. So good for any holiday or party.
Peanut Butter Sheet Cake with Butterfinger Frosting is a crazy-good dessert for celebrations, cookouts or just any get together with friends.
Butter Pecan Spice Cake is an all time family favorite. Straight from grandma's recipe box, you will make this easy recipe again and again.
Pineapple Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is one of the simplest recipes ever and the cream cheese frosting makes it so irresistible! Chocolate Sheet Cake with Nutella Frosting for all of you hazelnut fans out there!
Coconut Cream Cake is one of my favorites for Easter and summer get togethers. Vanilla Pound Cake is a five-ingredient recipe that literally anyone can make and it's so good! We also love this simple Buttery Almond Pound Cake.
Texas Sheet Cake is perfect for summer cookouts, 4th of July celebrations and just about any get together with friends. I mean chocolate cake is the answer to any dessert occasion!
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
For the cake:
- 1 cup butter
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup sweetened condensed milk (remainder of 14 oz can will be used for icing)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the icing:
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- remainder of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter. Whisk in cocoa powder and then add water. Bring to a boil, whisking often. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk until well combined
- Add in chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Stir in ⅓ cup sweetened condensed milk, eggs and vanilla and beat until all combined.
- Pour into a greased jelly roll pan (15" x 10").
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing.
- Mix melted butter and cocoa powder together along with the remaining sweetened condensed milk.
- Add powdered sugar and chopped pecans and stir until combined.
- Spread over warm cake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 458Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 319mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 2gSugar: 43gProtein: 7g
Nutritional calculation is estimated and may not be accurate.