Brown Sugar Chipotle Sweet Potatoes are my absolute favorite sweet potato recipe and just maybe my all- time favorite side dish. Perfect for both every day and holiday dinners. You won’t believe how simple they are to make!
Sweet potatoes are often topped with marshmallows for the Thanksgiving feast. We’ve never been to keen on the syrupy sweet concoction so we just usually skip the sweet potatoes all together. I mean does it still count as a vegetable if it’s covered in marshmallows?
I had dinner a friends house one New Year’s Eve and she made the best sweet potatoes. Since then I have made them often and the kids and I love them. So I am adding them to the menu for Thanksgiving dinner. Sweet Potatoes are BACK at the Thanksgiving table!
This is a really simple recipe and you can adjust it easily to the size of your family and to your taste. Just use the recipe as a guideline. Honestly I’ve don’t usually even measure the ingredients until I decided to share the recipe here.
I just pop the whole sweet potatoes in the oven and let them bake. I remove the skins, and add butter, brown sugar, ground chipotle, a bit of salt and bake it again.
You can make this these Brown Sugar Chipotle Sweet Potatoes the day before and put it in the refrigerator and finish it just before dinner. If you are skeptical of sweet potatoes because of the marshmallows, give this recipe a try, I think you will be pleased!
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place sweet potatoes in the oven and bake about 1 hour or until they yield to pressure.
- Remove and cool slightly. Remove skins and place baked sweet potatoes into a baking dish.
- Add butter, brown sugar, chipotle and salt. Mash with a fork and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to finish baking or immediately return to oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until brown sugar is melted and potatoes star to brown around the edges. (Add about 30 minutes to baking time if you have refrigerated the sweet potatoes.)
Other holiday dinner sides that you simply must try:
Post updated 11/6/2017 with new photos.