White Cheddar Potato Rolls are a delicious dinner roll that is perfect for holiday dinners and special get togethers. These delicious dinner rolls are topped with tangy white cheddar cheese before baking to create a crunchy crust with a light and fluffy center.
This is a sponsored post in partnership with Red Star Yeast.
These White Cheddar Potato Rolls are a take on a farmhouse potato bread recipe that a neighbor gave me ages ago. It’s always been one of my favorites and it was one of the first bread recipes I ever made successfully.
This recipe has a few extra steps but they are totally worth it. It also makes a big batch, so they are perfect for the holidays or big family gatherings.
I used Platinum Red Star Yeast for this recipe. It has dough enhancers that helps the bread to rise every single time. Baking with yeast doesn’t have to be intimidating. Red Star Yeast has a fabulous Yeast & Baking Lessons section with step-by-step instructions.
I added the yeast to some warm water and set it aside. I might have made a mess trying to take pictures and pour the yeast at the same time…..
I heated some milk and butter together.
Next I add in some leftover mashed potatoes and honey, then place it all in the mixer bowl. I added in a bit of the of the flour and then the yeast mixture, then more flour until it came together.
I normally knead bread by hand but since this is a rather large batch of dough, I went with the mixer.
This makes a really soft dough but will come together nicely and form a dough ball.
I placed it in a large bowl and covered it to rise.
Just look at that gorgeous dough!
I am about the worst at shaping the rolls and getting them all the same size. I kept dividing the dough in half until I had 24 rolls.
These rolls come out of the oven all nice and golden brown. The cheddar gives the top a bit of a crispy crunch and I just love the soft texture and flavor of potato bread. I promise, this one’s a keeper!
The large batch makes them perfect for baking and sharing! I hope you give these rolls a try soon! Let’s face it, a good dinner roll can totally steal the show!
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup warm mashed potatoes
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 packages Red Star Platinum Yeast
- 5-6 cups all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- Add milk and butter to a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in mashed potatoes and honey.
- Add yeast to warm water and stir together.
- Add potato mixture into mixer bowl with the dough hook. Add 2 cups of flour and mix until combined. Add eggs, mixing until incorporated. Add yeast mixture and mix together.
- Add 2 more cups of flour and salt and continue to mix until dough comes together. Add ½ cup of flour at a time until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Pour into a greased bowl, cover and allow to rise 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and knead out any air bubbles.
- Divide dough in half, using additional flour if needed. Divide each dough half into 16 rolls. Place in baking pans about 1 inch apart. Sprinkle with shredded cheese, pressing lightly to hold it in place.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake rolls for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven to a wire rack. Serve immediately or at room temperature.