Beer Cheese Soup served up in homemade bread bowls is just as comforting and delicious as it sounds. Made with two kinds of cheese, dark lager, a touch of creamy and smoky bacon for one of the most delicious flavor combinations ever!
I’ve made Spicy Beer Cheese Fondue and it’s always a hit for parties and celebrations, so I knew everyone would love this soup. It was my husband’s idea to make the homemade bread bowls to serve it in and it was genius.
Ingredients for Beer Cheese Soup:
- Garlic Cloves
- Chicken Broth
- Dark Lager Beer, we used Shiner Bock
- Heavy Cream
- Whole Milk
- Brown Mustard
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Red Pepper
- Cheddar Cheese
- Smoked Gruyere
- Bread Bowls for serving
- Parsley for garnish
How to Make Beer Cheese Soup:
- Cook the Bacon in the Oven and drain on paper towels. Crumble and set aside.
- Add butter to a skillet and cook diced onion and minced garlic until onions are caramelized.
- Add 1 cup of broth, corn starch and onion mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. I used my stick blender and it makes for easy cleanup.
- Using a soup pot, add remaining chicken broth, beer and onion mixture. Place over medium- high heat and bring to a boil, whisking often.
- Add milk, cream and mustard, whisk to combine.
- Season with salt and red pepper.
- Lower heat to simmer.
- Whisk in shredded cheeses and continue to cook until cheese is melted and smooth, do not bring the soup back to a boil, keep at a low simmer.
- Remove from heat.
How to Store and Reheat:
Store leftover soup in an airtight container, these deli containers are my favorite. Refrigerate up to 3 days. Beer cheese soup does not freeze well.
Reheat over low heat, do not bring to a boil. Whisk until heated through, about 8 – 10 minutes.
What Beer is Best for Cheese Soup?
We chose our favorite dark lager, Shiner Bock. If you like the flavor of beer a dark lager is a great choice; however if you are not a fan of beer, choose a lighter beer to make the soup.
What is the Best Cheese to Use for Beer Cheese Soup?
I highly recommend a really good cheddar to start with. Cabot Vermont Extra Sharp Cheddar is my absolute favorite. We also use a bit of smoked gruyere which has lots of flavor and is a very melty cheese. Gouda is another great option.
It is perfect soup weather right now and I hope you will give this Beer Cheese Soup in Bread Bowls a try soon. It’s a hearty and delicious, stick to your ribs kind of meal that everyone loves.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 24 ounces dark lager beer, we used Shiner Bock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Black Pepper
- pinch of red pepper
- 14 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces shredded smoked gruyere cheese
- Bread Bowls for Serving
- fresh parsley for garnish
Cook diced onion and minced garlic in butter over medium heat until onions are caramelized.
Mix 1 cup of broth, corn starch and onion into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. I used my stick blender.
Add remaining chicken broth, beer and onion mixture to a soup pan. Place over medium- high heat and bring to a boil, whisking often.
Season with salt and red pepper.
Whisk in milk, cream and mustard.
Lower heat to simmer.
Mix in shredded cheeses slowly, whisking until combined. Continue to cook until cheese is melted and smooth, do not bring the soup back to a boil, keep at a low simmer.
Serve in bread bowls and top with crumbled bacon and parsley.
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Freezing is not recommended.
Reheat in a saucepan over low heat, whisking until heated through, about 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 567Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 1596mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 23g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.