Chicken Enchilada Soup is a quick and easy dinner to make with leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken. A hearty meal that is full of tasty Tex-Mex flavors.
Chicken Enchiladas are one of our favorite meals and this soup has all of the same great flavors in a 30 minute meal.
We often meal prep whole chickens to make quick and easy dinners throughout the week. There’s tons of meal possibilities to make with the cooked chicken and this enchilada soup is one of our favorites.
- Olive Oil
- Yellow Onion
- Bell Peppers
- Enchilada Sauce
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- Cooked Chicken ~ Leftover or a deli rotisserie chicken.
- Black Beans
- Kosher Salt
- Colby-Jack Cheese
- Green Onions
Step By Step Directions
STEP 1 Add olive oil to a dutch oven or large pan and place over medium-high heat. Cook diced onions and bell peppers, stirring often until softened.
STEP 2 Stir in enchilada sauce, chicken broth, heavy cream and diced tomatoes.
STEP 3 Next, add diced chicken, rinsed and drained black beans and kosher salt.
STEP 4 Cook, stirring often for 10 – 15 minutes until heated through.
STEP 5 Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheese.
Serve immediately and garnish with sliced green onions.
What to Serve with Chicken Enchilada Soup
Chips and Homemade Salsa is a great compliment to serve alongside chicken enchilada soup or serve it as an appetizer if you are having company for dinner. You could also serve a simple side salad and Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread with the soup.
- Make it Spicy: Add 1/2 cup diced jalapeños with the onions and bell peppers.
- Variations: Use pinto beans in place of the black beans if desired.
- Other Garnishes: Candied jalapeños, tortilla chips, chopped cilantro, sour cream.
- Storage: Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Freeze in a zip top bag or freezer container up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator.
- Reheat: Add leftover soup to a pan, adding additional broth if needed. Cook over medium heat, stirring until heated through.
More Delicious Soup Recipes to Try
- Easy Stuffed Pepper Soup is ready in about 30 minutes and is packed with amazing flavor. Made with ground beef and loads of bell peppers for a family favorite.
- Chicken Tortilla Soup is filled with chicken, corn and black beans in a tasty tomato broth. Topped with crunch tortilla strips and your favorite toppings.
- Easy Taco Soup is so simple to make with ground beef, quinoa, black beans and corn with enchilada sauce for a flavorful dinner.
If you are looking for a hearty soup that can be on the table in about 30 minutes, give this Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe a try this week.
If you love this recipe as much as we do, please leave a comment and a five star review. Help us share on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 2 cups diced bell peppers
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 14.5 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups diced chicken
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded colby-jack cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced for optional garnish
- Cook onions and bell peppers in olive oil in a dutch oven or large pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in enchilada sauce, chicken broth and heavy cream. Then add in the tomatoes, black beans and chicken.
- Season with salt and continue to cook until soup is heated through, about 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheese.
- Serve with green onions if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 677Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 2098mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 14gSugar: 20gProtein: 28g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.