As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Alabama Fire Crackers are a crispy snack made with saltine crackers, spices and red pepper flakes for a spicy and delicious kick! So simple and crazy delicious!
Alabama Fire Crackers
Alabama Fire Crackers are one of the easiest snacks you can make. They are so tasty, almost to the point of being addictive! Make a batch and watch them disappear!
Just take me to the recipe! Scroll on down to the very bottom for the printable recipe card. Otherwise, read on for step by step photos and instructions.
Pin it to Pinterest Now!
The best part about these Alabama Fire Crackers is that you are likely to have all of the ingredients on hand and they are all budge friendly.
How to make Alabama Fire Crackers:
- Pour 2 cups of olive oil into a gallon zip top bag. Add ranch dressing mix, onion flakes, granulated garlic, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Use a whisk to mix the oil and seasonings together.
- Add 4 sleeves of saltine crackers and seal the bag.
- Turn the bag over and over (gently) to coat the crackers with seasoned olive oil.
- Allow to sit overnight.
- Give the crackers another turn or two and place crackers in a single layer on baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes and cool on cookie sheets.
- Store in a zip top bag or airtight container.
I found the recipe for Alabama Fire Crackers from Southern Living and I knew we would love it. Of course I adapted the recipe slightly. I kept the method and changed the spices up just a bit.
I trusted when the recipe admitted that 3 tablespoons of red pepper flakes does sound like a lot but to go ahead and use it all. It’s not too spicy.
Well, if you are sensitive to spicy foods, I’m going to say cut back on the red pepper flakes! I guess they call them fire crackers for a reason. My family loved them but they are seriously spicy.
- I will definitely make these again but likely with only 1 tablespoon of the red pepper. If you love spicy foods, go for the full 3 tablespoons of red pepper flakes.
- Substitute butter crackers, cheese crackers or thin wheat crackers if you prefer.
- This recipe can be doubled as needed or it’s easy to make half of the recipe.
It seems like the crackers would become soggy from the olive oil but they stay crisp! You can skip baking step if you want. We taste tested before and after baking and thought they were definitely best after baking.
How many crackers are in a sleeve of saltines?
Saltine crackers come in 4 ounce sleeves with about 40 crackers. You will need 4 sleeves for this recipe.
I always have saltine crackers on hand and when I already have all of the ingredients for a new recipe, it’s a win. Saltines are a favorite snack at our house and always a comforting addition to a bowl of chicken noodle soup.
These spicy crackers are a great snack to make for the holidays or to take to work for the whole crew to enjoy. You won’t even believe how quickly they disappear!
I guess fire crackers have been around for forever and have made the rounds in community cookbooks for years. When I spotted these last weekend, I thought they were a great addition to holiday gatherings.
These crackers are great for hostess gifts, party favors or to add to your holiday goodie baskets. I know you will be making these again and again.
More Easy Appetizers to Try:
Cajun Chex Mix is a delicious twist on the classic snack mix with homemade blackened seasoning! Irresistible for snacking.
Easy Deviled Eggs are a buffet favorite, no matter what the occasion, deviled eggs are a hit.
Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts only have 3 ingredients and they are crazy delicious. A guaranteed hit for holidays and gatherings.
Mini Doritos Cheese Balls are the perfect bite sized appetizer served up on a pretzel stick!
I have a huge list of Easy Appetizers that are great for entertaining and holiday parties.
FOLLOW MISS IN THE KITCHEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If you love this Recipe as much as I do, please leave a comment and a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Pinterest!
- 16 ounces saltine crackers (4 sleeves)
- 2 cups olive oil
- 4 tablespoons ranch dressing mix
- 1-3 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoons onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pour olive oil into a zip top gallon baggie.
- Add ranch dressing mix, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add saltine crackers, seal the bag and gently roll back and forth to coat the crackers.
- Set aside over night.
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Layer crackers on baking sheets in a single layer and bake for 15 minutes. Allow crackers to cool on baking sheets.
- Place in a zip top bag or an airtight container until ready to serve.
Adapted from Southern Living.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 239mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.