web analytics

Chicken Fajita Salad

by Milisa on March 23, 2012

Chicken Fajita Salad

Lunch usually consists of a quick hamburger or scrambled egg sandwiches but on occasion I go all out for the husband and myself. Today I worked at our shop doing paper work and getting Kaycee Cutters packaged and shipped.  One of the printers was down and I had about a thirty minute phone call to get it replaced.  By the time I had everything done I was starved.  I think  I do my best cooking when I’m starving.

I had one chicken breast in the fridge and was thinking about chicken sandwiches until I spotted the sweet peppers and I was inspired to make chicken fajita salads.

This was the best thing I’ve eaten in a while and boy did my husband ever love it! Fajitas are one of his favorite things and I really don’t make them often enough.  This was surprisingly quick and easy and I will be making it again soon for supper because I know the boys will love it too.

The key to getting the chicken just right is searing it in a cast iron skillet.  I’ve been talking a lot about my cast iron lately.  I guess it’s partly due to getting some questions about what my favorite cookware is.  I have five cast iron skillets and it’s not unusual for me to be cooking in 2 or 3 of them at once.  There’s just nothing like it.

What is your favorite cookware?

Chicken Fajita Salad

• 1/3 cup orange juice
  • 3 cups lettuce, shredded
  • 1/2 cup Kerrygold Irish Cheddar Cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 cup ranch dressing
  • 2 tablespoons salsa

Cooking Directions:

Preheat a cast iron skillet over high heat, add vegetable oil and chicken breasts.  Season with salt, cumin, chili powder, and garlic.  Stir to sear both sides of chicken breasts.  Lower heat to medium and cook for 6-8 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

In another cast iron skillet add butter over medium heat.  Add peppers and onions, stirring occasionally until onions and peppers have softened and start to brown.

When chicken is cooked through add orange juice and continue to cook, stirring until juice is absorbed.

In a small bowl combine ranch dressing and salsa.

To plate:

Add half of lettuce to each plate, sprinkle each with half of cheese.  Layer on chicken, peppers and onions.  Top with dressing mixture.

Yield: 2 salads, double recipe for 4.

Enjoy!

Miss

Print Friendly

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} March 23, 2012 at 9:06 am

i love my cast iron pans as well. The salad looks great Milisa

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray March 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm

My husband loves fajitas too. This looks awesome. Is that bowl (plate?) from Target? I think I bought the same one :)

Angela March 24, 2012 at 10:02 am

Wow, that looks excellent. I love this idea.

Barbara | Creative Culinary March 26, 2012 at 2:16 am

Yes please. Thought I always grill my fajita meat. Hence our Twitter convo earlier…I have GOT to get it going stat! Now I want to grill even more; this looks fabulous.

Shelby March 26, 2012 at 3:25 am

This looks so good! I am into the rice/ burrito bowls at Chipotles…could incorporate the cilantro rice into this one too!

Baking Serendipity March 26, 2012 at 11:12 am

You do lunch fancy. I love it.

Aggie March 26, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Oh my goodness does this look so good! I love the color of those peppers and onions in the salad. I think I may try this with shrimp VERY soon!

katie March 26, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I love this idea–never thought to turn traditional fajitas into a salad! Must make asap!

Jersey Girl Cooks March 27, 2012 at 11:13 am

Great salad! I use my cast iron pan quite a bit but love my large fry pan.

Kim in MD March 27, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I love salads, and I love fajitas! This is going to be dinner tonight! Also, I love cast iron pans, too. There is nothing like a good, seasoned cast iron pan!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme March 28, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I’ll never give up my cast iron cookware! Nothing else holds the heat like it does or gives just the right sear on a piece of meat. And I’d swear that there’s a difference in taste as well coming from cast iron. Definitely my favorite cookware.

And your salad…I just can’t wait to try this! I can already see that this is going to be a favorite in our house.