Pickled Green Onions are super simple to make and are the perfect topping to everything from hot dogs to tacos! Pickle the scallions whole or slice them up and make a relish with bell peppers and a bit of jalapeño added in.
Every summer we make tons of sweet pickle relish and this year we are getting a head start with these quick pickled green onions.
Pickled Green Onions ~ Quick Onion Relish
Adding pickles, relishes and homemade condiments can really change up a quick dinner and pickled onions are one of our favorites. This simple recipe is a must-try for any time of year.
- Green Onions or Scallions
- Fresh Garlic
- Bell Pepper ~ Any color is fine, we had a yellow one in the fridge.
- Jalapeño ~ Optional but adds a bit more flavor.
- Vinegar ~ White vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Kosher Salt
- Coarse Ground Pepper
How to Make Pickled Green Onions:
- Thoroughly wash the green onions in cold water. Remove the root ends and trim the green parts down if needed.
- To make it a relish, thinly slice the onions, dice bell pepper. Mince the jalapeño and garlic. Alternately, trim onions to the size of your jar and pickle them whole.
- Mix in a bowl.
- Place in 1 - 2 jars and set aside.
- In a saucepan combine the water, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stir occasionally, cooking just until mixture starts to bubble around the edges, don't bring to a full boil.
- Pour over vegetables.
- Cover with a lid and refrigerate immediately for 8 hours or overnight.
- Keep pickled onions in an airtight jar in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
- Add pickled onion relish to your Hot Dog Charcuterie Board for summer cookouts.
- Serve with Brisket Tacos, BBQ Chicken Tacos or Grilled Fish Tacos.
- Great for topping Bacon Mozzarella Burgers or Turkey Salad sandwiches.
- A fantastic addition to a bowl of Pinto Beans.
We plant lots of onions in our garden every summer and when we thinned them this year, we decided to make a batch of quick Pickled Green Onions and it's our new favorite condiment to serve with everything from sandwiches to grilled salmon.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON FACEBOOK & PINTEREST!
- 2 cups thin sliced green onions or scallions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- ½ jalape˜no pepper, minced
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- Mix sliced onions, garlic, bell peppers and jalapeño together in a bowl. Place in 1 - 2 jars and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine water, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk together and cook over medium heat. Cook just until mixture starts to bubble around the edges and sugar is dissolved. Do not bring to a full boil.
- Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight before serving.
Keep pickled onions in an airtight jar in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
- Hot Dogs, Burgers, Sandwiches, Tacos, Pinto Beans.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 13Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 54mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 0g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.