Today I'm sharing a Peach Slab Pie that is a real crowd pleaser. A simple recipe using summer fresh peaches and Jello. It is sure to be the hit of your summer get togethers!
Peach Slab Pie
I've been planning on making this pie since I shared my favorite Strawberry Slab Pie, which has totally gone wild. I hope everyone is trying it.
I was going to make this peach version last weekend for my son's 21st birthday until he mentioned that he really wasn't into jello.
What? First off, how is it possible for me to have a 21 year old kid? Secondly, how did I not know that he doesn't like jello? Who else doesn't like jello, that's just crazy talk.
So, I made a huge baked peach pie for his birthday and he was very happy with it. When I headed back to the grocery store I picked up a bunch of peaches so I could put this together.
Now I can't decide if I like the peach or the strawberry better! More taste testing is required.
My grandma made several versions of this pie when I was growing up. It was really my favorite pie. Sometimes she would use strawberries with peach jello or peaches with strawberry jello. It's just yummy anyway you make it.
You can make this with your favorite pie crust but I'm loving the shortbread crust. Great for any get together, potluck or summer cookout. I know everyone will love it!
This peach slab pie is just so darn pretty too! Making dessert that tastes good is easy, making it pretty is difficult for me. Let's just say that no one has ever asked me to decorate a cake for their birthday.
My family loves all kinds of cakes but pies will win out as the favorite dessert every time. I am loving these slab pies to feed a crowd. It seems we are all fighting over that last slice of a regular pie.
I topped this peach pie with Mascarpone Whipped Cream. Oh my word, where has this been all of my life?
I am hoping to get my hands on lots of summer fresh peaches this year. There are glorious peach orchards where I grew up. Sometimes my folks will bring me a few bushels to put in the freezer.
You are going to want to make this fresh peach pie again and again, it is bound to be your new favorite summer dessert!
for the crust:
- 2 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
for the pie:
- 6 oz peach jello
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 20 oz sprite (2 ½ cups)
- 2 - 2 ½ pounds fresh peaches
for Mascarpone whipped cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 16 oz Mascarpone
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and butter together until crumbly.
- Press into a sheet pan and prick all over with a fork.
- Bake 22-25 minutes or until light brown.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Add a jello, sugar, cornstarch, salt and Sprite to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and whisk until stir thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Slice peaches.
- Arrange over crust.
- Pour filling over peaches.
- Refrigerate 2 hours or until set.
- Add heavy whipping cream to mixer at medium speed until thickened.
- Raise to high and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add Mascarpone, vanilla and powdered sugar and beat until well combined and fluffy.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Slice pie into squares and serve with Mascarpone whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 564Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 339mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 2gSugar: 42gProtein: 5g
Nutrition calculation is estimated and may not be accurate.
Be sure to grab the recipe for this Strawberry Slab Pie while you are here!