Lemon Zucchini Cake is a super simple and delicious dessert to make when you have an abundance of zucchini! Bursting with lemon flavor and topped with a tangy buttermilk lemon glaze.
If you find yourself with more zucchini than you know what to do with, this cake is just perfect! The shredded zucchini keeps the cake incredibly moist and I promise your cake will not taste like vegetables!
How to Make Lemon Zucchini Cake:
- Shred zucchini with a large box grater.
- Squeeze zucchini with your hands to remove the excess moisture.
- Place on paper towels in a single layer and blot dry.
- Add sugar to a mixing bowl and zest 2 lemons into sugar. Rub sugar and zest together with your hands until well combined.
- Mix in buttermilk, oil, eggs and lemon juice.
- Add shredded zucchini and mix well.
- Next, add flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix until well combined.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes.
- Cool in the pan 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix glaze together by combining powdered sugar, buttermilk and lemon juice.
- Place cake on a serving platter. Pour glaze over cake, letting it drizzle over the sides.
- Top with lemon slices for garnish if desired.
Don't skip draining the zucchini or your cake will not have a cake-like texture.
I found that squeezing the liquid from the shredded zucchini by the handfuls over the sink worked best and then blotting dry with paper towels.
Let the cake cool before adding the glaze so that it will stick to the cake.
Store cake wrapped in plastic wrap at room temperature up to 2 days or refrigerated up to a week.
You might also like this Zucchini Crisp that tastes just like apple! You wouldn't ever guess that it's actually zucchini.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Handy Tools for Baking:
- I love this loaf pan for baking loaf cakes and bread and it's budget friendly!
- A stand mixer or hand mixer is great for baking cakes, cookies and bread.
- This silicone spatula is my favorite for getting all of the batter from the bowl into the pan.
- Measuring Cups, Measuring Spoons and these Measuring Beakers for liquids.
- Box Grater is perfect for shredding zucchini, potatoes and cheese.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND A FIVE STAR REVIEW, AND BE SURE TO HELP ME SHARE ON PINTEREST!
- 1 ½ cups zucchini
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- zest of 2 lemons
- ½ cup oil
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- non stick cooking spray
- FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan heavily with non stick cooking spray.
- Shred zucchini with a large box grater. Squeeze zucchini with your hands to remove as much liquid as you can. Place on paper towels and pat dry.
- Add sugar and lemon zest to mixer bowl and mix together with your fingers until it is mixed well.
- Add oil, eggs, buttermilk and lemon juice, beat mixture at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Blend in shredded zucchini just until combined.
- Add flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt and continue to mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour into greased pan and bake for 50- 55 minutes. A toothpick inserted will come out mostly clean.
- Run a knife around the pan to loosen cake and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix powdered sugar, buttermilk and lemon juice together until smooth.
- Place cooled cake on a serving tray and spread glaze over cake and let it drizzle over the sides.
- Garnish with fresh lemon slices if desired.
Store cake covered in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 2 days or in refrigerator up to a week.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 446Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 386mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 2gSugar: 47gProtein: 6g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.