Kahlua Cupcakes are a rich and decadent dessert to serve for any special occasion. Chocolate Cupcakes filled with Kahlua ganache and topped with chocolate Kahlua buttercream frosting.
If you are looking for a knock your socks off cupcake recipe, these Chocolate Kahlua Cupcakes are just the ticket. It's a triple chocolate dessert with a subtle coffee kick. Make these cupcakes for any birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas or Valentine's Day celebration.
For the Cake
- Chocolate Cake Mix ~ Use your favorite, Milk Chocolate, Chocolate Fudge or Devil's Food.
- Large Eggs ~ at room temperature.
- Butter ~ I use salted but unsalted works too.
- Coffee ~ Strong brewed.
- Kahlua ~ Coffee Liqueur
For the Ganache
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips ~ I used Nestle, any quality brand will work here.
- Heavy Cream
For the Frosting
- Butter ~ Softened, I used salted, unsalted works also.
- Powdered Sugar
- Cocoa Powder ~ Natural unsweetened
- Heavy Cream
- Vanilla Extract
Step By Step Directions
Make the Cupcakes
- In a mixer bowl, add cake mix, eggs, melted butter, coffee and Kahlua. Mix on low speed until combined, raise to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add cupcake liners to cupcake pans, use 2 liners per pan if you have thin liners.
- Fill ¾ full and bake for 18- 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for a few minutes and then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the Ganache
- Add chocolate chips to a heat safe bowl.
- Heat cream in a pan over low heat until it starts to bubble. Pour over chocolate chips and allow it to set for 5 minutes. Whisk to combine until chocolate is smooth. If you still have lumps of chocolate chips, you can microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring in between or place bowl over double boiler, stirring until smooth.
- Whisk in the Kahlua until well combined. Refrigerate while you make the frosting.
Make the Frosting
- Add softened butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cream, Kahlua and vanilla extract to a mixer bowl. Beat at low speed until mixture comes together. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue beating on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Fill and Frost the Cupcakes
- Scoop heaping teaspoonfuls of the center of each cupcake and place in a bowl for snacking or another use.
- Fill indentions with chilled ganache.
- Spoon frosting into a piping bag and frost the cupcakes.
- Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Yield: 18 Cupcakes
- Storage: Store cupcakes at room temperature up to 2 days or in refrigerator up to 7 days.
- Variations: Make a cake: Cake can be baked in 2 9 inch cake pans, spreading ganache in the center of the layers and frosting over the layers.
- Garnish Ideas: Top cupcakes with chocolate covered coffee beans or chocolate jimmies.
- Is it safe for Kids? There is such a small amount of alcohol per serving that it will not hurt to serve Kahlua cupcakes to kids.
- Serving Occasions: Any celebration or holiday including birthdays, weddings, anniversary parties, Christmas, Thanksgiving, July 4th, Easter, and New Years Eve parties.
More Delicious Chocolate Desserts to Try:
Chocolate Rum Cake is a favorite bundt cake for the holidays and it's a shortcut recipe made with a box cake mix.
Brownie Pudding Pie is a decadent dessert with a fudgy baked brownie topped with chocolate pudding and sweetened whipped cream.
Mini Chocolate Cheesecakes are an impressive dessert to make for any holiday occasion. An Oreo crust topped with chocolate cheesecake. Garnish with whipped cream and fresh berries for any celebration.
Top any chocolate dessert with this Easy Chocolate Frosting that takes 5 minutes to make!
Make these Kahlua Cupcakes for your next holiday or celebration. They are rich and decadent with layer upon layer of chocolate flavor.
If you love this recipe as much as we do, please leave a comment and a five star review. Help us share on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook!
For the Cake:
- 15.25 ounce Chocolate Cake Mix
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup melted salted butter
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- ¼ cup Kahlua, coffee liqueur
For the Ganache:
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup Kahlua
For the Frosting:
- 1 ½ cups salted butter (3 sticks)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line cupcake pans with liners for 18 cupcakes. Use 2 for each if your liners are thin.
- Add cake mix to a mixer bowl with ⅓ cup melted butter, 3 large eggs, coffee and ¼ cup Kahlua.
- Beat at low speed just until combined. Raise to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes.
- Spoon into cupcake pans filling ¾ full.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan a few minutes. Move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the ganache: Add chocolate chips to a heat safe bowl. Heat heavy cream over medium heat until bubbly. Pour over chocolate chip and let it set for 5 minutes. Whisk together until smooth. If chocolate doesn't melt smooth, microwave in 15 second intervals until smooth.
- Whisk in ¼ cup Kahlua. Refrigerate while you make the frosting.
- In a mixer bowl, add 3 sticks of softened butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cream and Kahlua. Beat at low speed until it comes together. Scrape down the sides and raise to medium and beat 2 minutes. Add additional cream if frosting is too thick. Beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Scoop heaping teaspoonfuls of the center of each cupcake. Set aside for another use or to snack on.
- Fill indentions with ganache.
- Fill a piping bag with frosting and pipe over filled cupcakes.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Storage: Store cupcakes at room temperature up to 2 days or in refrigerator up to 7 days.
Variations: Make a cake: Cake can be baked in 2 9 inch cake pans, spreading ganache in the center of the layers and frosting over the layers.
Garnish Ideas: Top cupcakes with chocolate covered coffee beans or chocolate jimmies.
Is it safe for Kids? There is such a small amount of alcohol per serving that it will not hurt to serve Kahlua cupcakes to kids.
Serving Occasions: Any celebration or holiday including birthdays, weddings, anniversary parties, Christmas, Thanksgiving, July 4th, Easter, and New Years Eve parties.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 523Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 351mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 2gSugar: 46gProtein: 4g
Nutritional calculations are estimated and may not be accurate.